About to give up with the beauty industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maria-English

Reaction score
Hi!
Sorry by starting off with a moan but urghh! Please some one tell me that I've been unlucky and the industry is not all bad? I retrained as a beauty therapist 4/5 years ago and I LOVE being a therapist Im interested in clients, I'm a perfectionist and always wanting to learn more but most importantly I'm good at what I do (with out sounding arrogant) the amount of times I've seen an employer or even trainer show a demonstration and I look at it and think okeyyy...I can do that/better.
I cannot stand the employers I've worked for *i understand money is tight in a salon I'm not stupid I understand time is money but really?! Putting cheaper products into professional bottles, filling nail polish up with nail thinner to the point clients are complaining it comes off with in a day or two (on their toes!) not paying me, part paying me, having to constantly ask for wage slips, breaking my contract over & over telling me to go home because no one is in (but they never advertise the salon) I now have an extra job in an office so I can make enough money each month.
Then there is the training i have to say MOST of the time training is good and worth the money spent but o my lord - apprenticeships THE amount of salons who use and abuse this government scheme is disgusting too many employers get young girls in pay them peanuts AND DON'T train them, they clean and cover reception. Apprenticeships can be a good thing if they are trained how they should be ready for a full time job in a salon because let's face it after that apprentice qualifies IF they qualify their not going to be employed with the salon they were with.
The list goes on I'm so angry 1) this is even allowed 2) it's accepted. If I were a client I would be livid if I knew I paid £75 for lash perfect eyelashes that weren't lash perfect they were from eBay. I'm not just talking small salon shops either I'm talking a health spa chain (they weren't the product swappers they were the not paying ones).
SO after my rant what I'm trying to say is I love WHAT I do all the training I have had I have paid for myself I've put so much money into it and now I have days were I say ' I don't want to be a beauty therapist anymore' I have been offered a job at a large well know salon that has won awards but I know what does on behind the scenes, very similar to the problems I stated earlier :(. Again cruise ships was something i was interested in but all i can see happening is being made to do massage all day and ruining my wrists therefore ruining my career. Ive had three employers none have been trained in NVQ2 or 3?
Thank you x

what about going mobile and working for yourself, then you can set the standard, I agree, clients should get what they pay for. I do some time at a couple of salons, I'm mobile and I have a home salon but I work for myself, all my stock is genuine and I care about the service I give. Its hard work at the start but you don't seem to be afraid of that.

Hi!
Sorry by starting off with a moan but urghh! Please some one tell me that I've been unlucky and the industry is not all bad? I retrained as a beauty therapist 4/5 years ago and I LOVE being a therapist Im interested in clients, I'm a perfectionist and always wanting to learn more but most importantly I'm good at what I do (with out sounding arrogant) the amount of times I've seen an employer or even trainer show a demonstration and I look at it and think okeyyy...I can do that/better.
I cannot stand the employers I've worked for *i understand money is tight in a salon I'm not stupid I understand time is money but really?! Putting cheaper products into professional bottles, filling nail polish up with nail thinner to the point clients are complaining it comes off with in a day or two (on their toes!) not paying me, part paying me, having to constantly ask for wage slips, breaking my contract over & over telling me to go home because no one is in (but they never advertise the salon) I now have an extra job in an office so I can make enough money each month.
Then there is the training i have to say MOST of the time training is good and worth the money spent but o my lord - apprenticeships THE amount of salons who use and abuse this government scheme is disgusting too many employers get young girls in pay them peanuts AND DON'T train them, they clean and cover reception. Apprenticeships can be a good thing if they are trained how they should be ready for a full time job in a salon because let's face it after that apprentice qualifies IF they qualify their not going to be employed with the salon they were with.
The list goes on I'm so angry 1) this is even allowed 2) it's accepted. If I were a client I would be livid if I knew I paid £75 for lash perfect eyelashes that weren't lash perfect they were from eBay. I'm not just talking small salon shops either I'm talking a health spa chain (they weren't the product swappers they were the not paying ones).
SO after my rant what I'm trying to say is I love WHAT I do all the training I have had I have paid for myself I've put so much money into it and now I have days were I say ' I don't want to be a beauty therapist anymore' I have been offered a job at a large well know salon that has won awards but I know what does on behind the scenes, very similar to the problems I stated earlier :(. Again cruise ships was something i was interested in but all i can see happening is being made to do massage all day and ruining my wrists therefore ruining my career. Ive had three employers none have been trained in NVQ2 or 3?
Thank you x

I think about this too sometimes xx

I feel exactly the same way as you, I've now decided that the only way I can get my love for this industry back is to save up as much as I can, work on my business plan, have everything I need in place and then leave my current job. The only thing making me get out of bed in the mornings is knowing one day I won't have to answer to anyone, and if I want to take a half day to spend more time with my family, or I want a day off at the weekend I can take it. I have been used and all I am to employers is a money making machine, my health doesn't matter (I'm now suffering from RSI) but lo and behold after expressing how I feel with my employers I'm still booked massage back to back and it's always discounted deals. I'm done! Chin up sweets, I am in the same boat! A xxx

There is only one simple answer to your problem...work for yourself! If you feel so strongly about it take control, i have felt like that in many of my jobs & im sure it happens all over the place so its never going to get better! If you are that good & you sound confident then go self employed. Best thing i ever did as i have been in your shoes

I feel your frustration though never been on anyone's payroll . I trained 12 years ago and only now following my dream and going mobile and only do the treatments I enjoy hence I don't do waxing!! .do it with your confidence and genuine products your do well I'm sure xx

Hi!
Thank you x

Time to go self employed! The government "scheme" suited many therapist as back in my day most of them would not of stood a cat and hell's chance in getting a place of on course e.g not qualified enough you needed 2 a levels in my day. This scrimping in salon has came about by the sheer saturation in beauty professionals 10 years ago I was charging more than some of these shops opening on a shoe string! This profession has become diluted, the best do last and the others give up. I would look into self employment!

Back