Accepting card payments for my home salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljm1974

Reaction score
Hi, I have a treatment room at home. My terms of payment have always been cheque or cash. I am wanting to be able to offer card payments.

Am wondering if any one can suggest a Chip and PIN card reader which can connect to my iPad.

Many thanks
Lisa:

I'm looking at worldpay zinc for my home salon, they have good tariffs that you can change between depending on how much you are taking so not tied in to monthly payments x

Hi Meira, I've just been reading about WorldPay Zinc. Do you know if it can be personalised, so that when the invoice gets emailed, it has a breakdown of what treatments they received?

SumUp are the same. I use these they are fab, can text or email receipts and very competitively priced.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sumup!! Absolutely fab

Hi, So I have been up all night investigating and been on the phones talking to various suppliers of Wireless Card payment systems. In the end it was a choice between Payleven and WorldPay Zinc, and have made the decision to go with WorldPay Zinc.

A couple of questions I asked, were interesting so thought I'd post for you to see.

1. How long does the transaction take to clear into the allocated bank account?
WorldPay: 2-4 working days
PayLeven: 6-11 working days

2. Can you except payments over the phone (important if people purchase gift vouchers)
WorldPay: Yes - you login to an online portal to enter info.
PayLeven: NO - not currently

3. How do you send receipts to clients?
WorldPay: Email, Text or you can print of a template and hand write a receipt
PayLeven: Email or print

4. Can the system be customised? Can you pre-program services and products into the system so they appear itemised on receipts?
WorldPay: Not pre-programmable, however there is a reference box when completing transactions, where you can enter up to 50characters.
PayLeven: Has to be enetered manually

5. Are there recommended printers available to work with your application?
WorldPay: Yes (Apple supply some handhelp pocket size wirless printers)
PayLeven: Yes - Bixolen wireless printer (expensive)

6. What is the rate/percentage you charge?

WorldPay: 2.75% PER Transaction. No monthly fees, no minimum spend. You can also switch and change between accounts. So, if you know you are going to have a really busy month or two, then switch to the "Pay Monthly" plan which is £5.99 per month and 1.95% per transaction

PayLeven: 2.75% PER Transaction. No monthly fees, no minimum spend.

7. Whats cards are accepted?
Worldpay: Mastercard, Visa, Maestro, Vpay
Payleven: Mastercard, Visa, Maestro, Vpay

How much is the Wirless Device and how do I go about receiving it?
WorldPay: The device is £59.99 and is a one of fee, has a 1-yr guarantee. Best option is to log on, complete on-line application form (takes less than 5min), once approved, an information pack and wireless payment receiver is sent.

There, hope you find some of my questions helpful when making your decision. I must say, I am very excited about getting up on board with a CardPayment System!

Lisa

If you get someone who is already a WorldPayZinc customer (me me me!) to refer you to the company, the referer gets £15 of Amazon vouchers and the new customer gets £10-£20 off the cost of the chip and pin pad!

If you get someone who is already a WorldPayZinc customer (me me me!) to refer you to the company, the referer gets £15 of Amazon vouchers and the new customer gets £10-£20 off the cost of the chip and pin pad!

I think I will be doing this so can you PM me your details and I'll say you recommended me. Thanks.

Just started with payleven and it works really well. People will spend extra if they can use a card.

Kate

Oh poo, I've already signed up! Thats a great savings! Maybe Meira may be able to take advantage is she goes ahead.

Oh poo, I've already signed up! Thats a great savings! Maybe Meira may be able to take advantage is she goes ahead.

Sorry, I already signed up using another geek on here x

SumUp are the same. I use these they are fab, can text or email receipts and very competitively priced.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

How much did you pay for it?

I've just done it today using waxingformen's name and got it for £49.99.

I've just done it today using waxingformen's name and got it for £49.99.

And that WorldPayZinc price includes VAT. Some of the handset prices quoted exclude VAT so people should double check. Thanks again.

Hi just wondering if anyone passes the charge onto the client if using a card ie. 50p or £1 per card transaction or if you have a minimum spend to use card payment etc xxx

I'm not keen on the idea. Personally I don't think it comes across well. People paying by card is the norm now. I just include it in the price of treatment (which is easy to do when you do male waxing as most have a flexi price structure).

Hi just wondering if anyone passes the charge onto the client if using a card ie. 50p or £1 per card transaction or if you have a minimum spend to use card payment etc xxx

I was wondering this too...

No I don't. Saying that I did out my prices up all round about 6 months after I got my card machine. I find that customers tend to spend more when they can use their card as they don't have to worry about cash plus they can use a credit card!!

These little apps are brilliant aren't they? I love my Sumup app and all my customers are amazed that they can make payment this way.

Just tonight a client turned up with no cash and was very surprised I could take payment by visa! I'm quid's in too as she bought extra retail items too!

Hi, I use iZettle and it connects to iPad and iPhone. It also has a separate chip and pin machine which is great. Easy to use and inexpensive fees too.

Latest posts

Back