Acrylic coloured powder

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I'm struggling to do coloured acrylics!

I normally just do plain acrylics & signature nail art on ring finger & thumb.

I want to experiment as I have so many colours & glitters.

When you put tips on, do you put coloured acrylic on straight away or do you put clear first, then coloured?

I did my own nails last night to experiment. And I did the clear, then coloured, then a little cleat and then file and shaped and found bits of my coloured acrylic patchy.

The reason I put on clear first was if I wanted to change the acrylic colour, I'd just have to file the colour acrylic off.

Got fed up in the end and just painted my nails

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Pictured attached

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1353417286.256410.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1353417286.256410.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 1,339
hi, im not very experienced with acrylics but didnt wana read and run...

my first thought would be if your picking up different mix ratio from bead to bead or too much liquid being added from the belly of your brush as your working the acrylic into place? this could be wayyyy of the mark but im sure some1 with plenty of experience will let us both know soon :) xx

I do colour acrylic l&p

I always do clear 1st because often people just want it n tips or graduated.

Where did you get your coloured l&p from?

Last edited:
Mine is all from EzFlow & Nubar.

I did do training in coloured acrylics.
Fading, stripes basically designs.

if i am using coloured acrylics i go straight in with the colour or glitter then cap and build structure in clear then file and refine the nail and then either buff or gel top coat.
I think if you start adding too many layers ie like the clear layer first you are risking
1. either the end result being very thick or 2. whilst trying to get a thinner/ more natural enhancement you end up filing through those top layers in places....making your end nail look patchy. (your just adding product to file it off again....taking up time and product....and if you ever need to soak off will take longer to do )
I think if your going to want to change the colour your best just to soak off .....i think the end result will always look better xx

I get my coloured l&p from nsi and find the colours really good

I do thin clear, then colour and then thin clear, most of the time it's just coloured tips or graduated up and I never file off to change colour always soak off, sometimes we can graduate another collude into it, I don't tend to do colour all over the nail.

I also always use a clear tip, not natural.

In the pics you have glitter too. Was that over the colour?

Thanks for your help!

Seems like only way with coloured is to soak off in a few weeks.

I was thinking of ways to not have to do that.

I got fed up and ended up painting my nails with similar colour as the acrylic colour I used to make it even.

I used to work with glitters on the tips and would nearly cry when someone wanted to change their glitter color. I never soaked-who has that much time? Now I am using Gelish exclusively. What's great is that the soak off is no more than 10 min and I achieve the look MOST of my clients are looking for. Because you soak this gel completely off with each visit, your client gets choices-lots of choices. One week-pink glitter tips, next week-French white and pink, etc.

If you are adamant on providing an acrylic nail-you can still use gel polish over acrylic nails and give them all the same choices. You will file off the gel down to the acrylic but it is quicker than filing down acrylic. It is messy though. Very fine powder (yuck). This is why I am moving to gel nails only. 22 years of filing tends to open your mind to alternatives. I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back