Acrylic enhancements or UV gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salzgirlie

Reaction score
Hi Nail geeks,

I have just read through lots of threads and am getting more and more confused. I am just after a very simple answer.

I am looking into doing nail enhancements and would like to know from the experts what is better / more popular / looks nicer. UV Gel Enhancements or Acrylics.

Apologies if I am sounding dumb . . complete newbie to nail enhancements here.

xx

Hello. I know exactly what you mean by your question, but I need to clarify one thing before we go any further.

All nail enhancements are acrylics. Some enhancements are liquid & powder acrylics (commonly referred to as "acrylics") and some are gel based acrylics. The medium, consistency and application method of products varies greatly, but ultimately they are all acrylate based products therefore are all acrylics. I know that doesnt help you to answer your question because its still a valid question because you need to know which is the best product to choose, but you do need a good knowledge base about the products you are choosing between so that you dont fall into any traps based on misconceptions (for example that gels are better than acrylics for your nails - they're the same product!)

So, to answer regarding which product is best - again its not much help but they're both good, but some are better for some people, some are better for others, so in the long run I would recommend that you train in both.

I would train in l&p first though and here's why. In terms of nail enhancements l&p's are still more popular, and on the occasion when you do get people asking for gels, when you explain that gels are still acrylics they often just decide to have l&p anyway. In my opinion l&p is more versatile and looks nicer.

Also, if you train as an l&p tech, then train in gels at a later date, you will find gels so easy to pick up. If you do it the other way round though, you will find l&p really hard to pick up by comparison, so do yourself a favour, make your life a bit easier, and go for the l&p first.

I still think gels are good, I offer gels myself, but I prefer l&p and I find that my clients do too

p.s I should have mentioned that I'm referring to a buff off gel rather than a soak off gel. If you choose gel you will find that there's another choice to make ie buff off or soak off. Buff off gel is stronger, similar to the strength of l&p (actually l&p is ever so slightly stronger in my view but I'm sure others disagree), but like it says on the tin it's a buff off gel because it cannot be soaked off. There is a soak off gel which, shockingly, can be soaked off, but it's not as strong, and not suitable for those who are harder on their nails

Latest posts

Back