Acrylic speed - help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarashaharra

Reaction score
Hi there

I'm looking for any advice you can offer please. I finished training in February and am struggling massively with my acrylic application speed - start to finish is taking about 2 and a half hours although to be fair this includes a gel polish too.

I currently rent a chair and have set my own prices, doing lots of gel polish and manicure but have priced myself out of the market on acrylic as am too scared of how long it will take.

I have a practice hand (cheap one from Sally) but it isn't really much use for acrylic as it doesn't let you get close to cuticles/side walls etc. Considered buying the Nail Trainer but am put off by the price and don't really know if this will help. I have a few friends who model for me but not enough to get any kind of speed built up.

Have any of you struggled with this and do you have any good ideas/silver bullets?

New to the forum and grateful for any advice you can offer xx

Definitely invest in a nail trainer best thing I bought x

Thanks Candy

Are they useful for acrylic practice and do you find the cuticles/side walls life like?

Thanks!
Clara xx

It's all about practice. The sooner you start doing them often, your technique and timing will improve.
I qualified a year ago and my timing was similar to yours. I can now do a set in around 1hr 15 mins.
Keep practicing but also consider making your price more realistic so you get the appointments you need to gain confidence.
Good luck X

I finished my l+p course a few months ago and personally I'm not finding the nail trainer helpful because the nail beds are so exaggeratedly big that I struggle fitting tips and then sticking to three beads.. I've found practising on willing volunteers even if it's only overlays or even practising on a nail wheel has felt like better practise to me. X

I've been doing nails for over 13 years and it still takes me 2 hours for a full set! The reason for this with me is because I do an absolutely thorough job. When I left school and used to go to salons to get my nails done, I would go home and have to file them to get the shape I wanted and mess around until I was happy with them as they were always rushed. I take great care in applying the tips, shaping each one exactly how the client wants them, double checking the shape, applying the acrylic with great care to reduce filing afterwards, (all this is done freehand as well without an e-file so that will take you a little longer but some people prefer that). I do the odd day in a salon in my local town so recently have been trying to pick up my speed as they do a full set in 1 hour (or less!)
I find it incredibly difficult to cut corners like salons do because I'm a perfectionist. One thing you can do is not blend natural tips if the client is going to be having gel polish on top, but so far I have only managed to reduce my time by half an hour doing this. People are happy to wait if the nails are good and long lasting, so keep going and be confident in your work. At the end of the day, perfection takes time! ;-) xx

There really is no magic solution to increase your speed other than practice. The more sets you do the faster you will become. For someone who only qualified 3 months ago I think 2 1/2 hours is very good!

I qualified 15 months ago, and still take around 2hours for a full set L&P with gel polish, but I totally agree with the nail queen, I do a complete thorough manicure type prep, size the tips up accurate and precise, blend and shape each nail to clients requirements with a hand file, sanitise the nail plate before applying primer & L&P as precise as possible to minimise filing once it's set, then buffing or applying polish also takes time. I've found complaints or niggles are rare (so far lol) and I have regular clients, as well as a steady introduction of new ones. Clients will always choose better quality over speed if they are passionate about the appearance of their nails. However some techs are just naturally thorough with the added bonus of speed, don't beat yourself up.

Clients also don't like to feel like they're rushed. It's a treatment for them and some 'me' time so don't feel stressed about timings.

Latest posts

Back