Acrylics on children?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All schools round my way (secondary and primary) don't allow any type of enhancements (or even polish) so I'd be surprised if the school let her keep them on anyway. I would never in a million years put enhancements on a child. A friend of a friend wanted me to put shellac on her 13 and 11 year old girls as they were bridesmaids and I thought that was ok but when they turned up with their dad they were whining that they didn't want shellac, they wanted "fake" nails like "big fat gypsy wedding girls" and they got into a right strop when I explained why I wouldn't be doing that. They left in a huff and said they were going to go to the nail shop up the road as they "do nails on anyone"!

Last edited by a moderator:
All schools round my way (secondary and primary) don't allow any type of enhancements (or even polish) so I'd be surprised if the school let her keep them on anyway. I would never in a million years put enhancements on a child. A friend of a friend wanted me to put shellac on her 13 and 11 year old girls as they were bridesmaids and I thought that was ok but when they turned up with their dad they were whining that they didn't want shellac, they wanted "fake" nails like "big fat gypsy wedding girls" and they got into a right strop when I explained why I wouldn't be doing that. They left in a huff and said they were going to go to the nail shop up the road as they "do nails on anyone"!

This is disgusting! spoiled little monkeys! What are they doing watching 'Big fat gypsy weddings' at this age anyway? The language is bad!
I do thinck this though, that nowadays 'False' nails are more available, many mums have them and since the beginning of time girls have liked to be just like mummy. We have to explain to our little girls why they cant have bras yet like mummy, dont we? Why is this any different? Most little girlies I know are happy with a bit of glitter and a little nail art though. 'Princess nails'

Last edited by a moderator:
I once done a set on a 13 year old for her birthday. I didn't even prep the nail properly just removed the dead skin and dehydrated to be honest I didn't want them to last as I was so worried she might catch them and tear it off!!!! I tried to persuade her to have a polish but her nails were so short and she had a huge party so I relented. I did however educate her on growing the natural nail and showed her the looks she could have if she grew them and after having nice nails for a cple of days it did make her grow them. Obvs I done it for free as a gift so had no qualms about them coming off...

If I am asked now I flat out refuse and offer a manicure with a polish nothing more, if they go elsewhere so be it.

I have a strict policy for my salon cause from the get go I want my clients to know where they stand and so I am seen an treated like a professional from the get go and at all times. I have not had one complaint yet about my policies, below is the one I have for this type of situation. So far it has served me well:)

Age requirements:

It is against insurance policy to provide enhancement treatments to any clients under the age of 16. This includes Liquid and Powder (acrylic), Gel and Polish Pro.
All other treatments can be offered to clients no younger than 14 but will require parent consent if under the age of 16.
A parent/guardian must attend the appointment if client is under 16 years of age.
XXXX (me) reserves the right to request proof of age.

I know an ex nail tech who still does nails for mates who has been doing her daughters acrylics regularly since she was 6!

I was at a pamper party where I was painting all the girl's nails (8 years) and she said she couldn't have them painted because she had nails on and showed me, white tip acrylic with line art! Crazy! x

Latest posts

Back