Adult braces

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitter nails

Reaction score
hi, I'm thinking of getting adult braces the invisible ones that go behind the teeth so there less noticeable but I'm 29 (scary age) and a bit undecided about it. None of my friends had braces so I don't really know what to expect just wondering if anyone has any advice?

I had train tracks top and bottom for 2 years.

They're not nearly as bad as people make out. But it depends on peoples pain thresholds.

I think you'd be better going for Invisalign, they're completely clear aligners that you change every week or two i think.

My daughter was advised to take paracetamol an hour before she had them fitted, and next day because it's just after they're fitted that you feel s bit uncomfortable. It wasn't as bad as she thought and they were full on braces although she had the clear plastic ones so they didn't notice much

Now they're off her teeth are amazing

My sister in law was in her fifties when she had hers, she's really pleased she did

hi, I'm thinking of getting adult braces the invisible ones that go behind the teeth so there less noticeable but I'm 29 (scary age) and a bit undecided about it. None of my friends had braces so I don't really know what to expect just wondering if anyone has any advice?

Sorry for the slight subject change.
Have you had a quote yet? And where abouts are you thinking of having it done?

I'm really interested in getting them done.
I looked into Invisalign but judging by all he reviews and people I've spoken to that have had it done the results don't last and you have to pay a lot in the long run for extra aligners & they have to be worn for a long time afterwards. x

I've had a quote for Invisalign and they look great. Just deciding on whether to go for it as it is a big outlay and I'm 41! Would love lovely looking teeth. I think after you've had Invisalign you need to wear the aligners when your sleeping otherwise teeth will move back so it is a lot to think about but results look amazing.

I've had a quote for Invisalign and they look great. Just deciding on whether to go for it as it is a big outlay and I'm 41! Would love lovely looking teeth. I think after you've had Invisalign you need to wear the aligners when your sleeping otherwise teeth will move back so it is a lot to think about but results look amazing.

With every brace technique you need to wear aligners when you sleep or have a fixed retainer x

I haven't been and got a quote yet but the ones if seen roughly price from £1500- £3000 however that's for both top and bottom teeth. I only want to get my bottom teeth done as the top are straight and I remember when I was a teenager and the dentist said if I did want a brace it would only be needed on the bottom anyway. So I'm hoping that as I only need one set it will be half the price haha, as for braces not lasting, have not heard that. But like cams97 said you have to wear a retainer once your brace is removed regardless of what type of brace you get, usually up to a year. BUT what about speech that's what I'm most worried about I don't want to be lisping?

I haven't been and got a quote yet but the ones if seen roughly price from £1500- £3000 however that's for both top and bottom teeth. I only want to get my bottom teeth done as the top are straight and I remember when I was a teenager and the dentist said if I did want a brace it would only be needed on the bottom anyway. So I'm hoping that as I only need one set it will be half the price haha, as for braces not lasting, have not heard that. But like cams97 said you have to wear a retainer once your brace is removed regardless of what type of brace you get, usually up to a year. BUT what about speech that's what I'm most worried about I don't want to be lisping?

You have to wear the retainer for the rest of your life.

If you're over 21 your teeth will always go back into the position they were before braces! Its like breaking a bone and expecting it to stay broken, you'd need something to stop it from healing.

You have to wear the retainer for the rest of your life.

If you're over 21 your teeth will always go back into the position they were before braces! Its like breaking a bone and expecting it to stay broken, you'd need something to stop it from healing.
oh really, well that's not to bad I mean you'd only wear them at night right? no-one's gonna see them, I'm just worried about how long I would have to wear that actual brace I'm hoping 2 years max? I know someone who got the 6 month clear braces and that look amazing you cant tell she had one but its only for minor crooked teeth not everybody can have them and cost they ALOT about £5000

oh really, well that's not to bad I mean you'd only wear them at night right? no-one's gonna see them, I'm just worried about how long I would have to wear that actual brace I'm hoping 2 years max? I know someone who got the 6 month clear braces and that look amazing you cant tell she had one but its only for minor crooked teeth not everybody can have them and cost they ALOT about £5000

Yes, once you've been wearing the retainers for about 6 months or so you wear them every other night.

I'm not sure how long you'd need them, it depends on the severity of your teeth.

Can you not get a payment plan/finance? If you go for Invisalign you won't see them at all they're completely clear aligners that go over your teeth and your speech will be fine.

My friend got train tracks but the clear ones and her teeth look AMAZING now! Most places you get a whitening product in with the package! If it was me and I was getting them again on my bottom set I would go for the train track style for me personally you hardly see my bottom teeth so I wouldn't want to spend however much more it is to get the Invisalign when it would be hardly noticeable! I've always wanted mine put back on again but only on my top set as I felt they weren't on long enough to fix them as I wanted. I have the metal retainers on mine but as I bit the top one of, not quiet sure how, they wouldn't replace it again! If that is an aftercare option I would definitely go for the fitted retainer option.

Another plus to the train track style makes your lips look bigger [emoji85]

I had fixed clear metal braces on and wore them for 16 months.

I definitely found them painful, especially when they'd been tightened but they were worth every bit of torture! :D

I had previously worn braces when I was 15 and my teeth slipped back into crookedness, so, as a 28 year old adult I had to pay £2600 again for them!

I now have a permanent fixed retainer on the backs of my teeth and I'm supposed to wear plastic removable retainers at night. I can't wear the top one (shown in picture) anymore as it was way too uncomfortable I would find it hidden in my bed each day as it clearly bothered me in my sleep.. I wear the bottom plastic retainer ALL the time, day and night simply because I now grind my teeth which is extremely irritating and starts to hurt. Nobody ever notices it though.

If you're thinking to go for them, I doubt you'd regret it, I love my teeth now .. Also, not every one is suitable for Invisalign, I wasn't.

The pic in the dress is with the braces, they were barely noticeable and I'd put them off for years for fearing I'd look a geek lol

Attachments

• 1462774210350.jpg
    1462774210350.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 81
  • 1462774217365.jpg
    1462774217365.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 1462774288785.jpg
    1462774288785.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 67
your teeth look amazing! I cant have Invisalign I hoping to get Lingual braces, what about speech could you speak ok, and what food couldn't you eat? how long did it take to have them fitted too?

your teeth look amazing! I cant have Invisalign I hoping to get Lingual braces, what about speech could you speak ok, and what food couldn't you eat? how long did it take to have them fitted too?
Oh thank you :)

I could eventually eat everything but when tightened and first fit they'd hurt and most things hurt to eat without having to chomp :D ... bread funnily enough was one of the most annoying as it got stuck in the wires!! You do kinda get used to it all though.

Think they took an hour to fit and yes speech did change I guess but every down side to it was worth it x

I paid for invisilgn, and would say j wasted my money! I've had quick smile fixed braces fitted and I would say cheaper, quicker results and better results in my honest opinion!
Go for fixed braces not invisilgn.. I'm 39 and no one knows I've even got them on and they are on my top teeth!! Xx

I would go for fixed too. And as a perk, they may make you look more youthful. I am 26 and want blue ones.

I was speaking to an australian orthodontist recently about braces as it is something I would be interested in getting and she shared her opinion about Invisalign. She advised to go for fixed braces over invisalign and her reasons bieng - Much cheaper and much better result. She was under the impression that you are just paying for the brand and that the older method works much better. I felt she was giving genuine advice. In Ireland invisalign are double the price of the fixed. Interesting!!!!

Does anyone know roughly how much a fixed brace is through your normal dentist?

I had fixed braces about 9 years ago at the grand old age of 26 I had to have 3 teeth removed first to make room & I paid £2000 back then! I still wear my retainer now at night x

Does anyone know roughly how much a fixed brace is through your normal dentist?

A "normal dentist" wouldn't normally deal with braces you need an orthodontist! X

Latest posts

Back