Advice/feedback please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emk32

Reaction score
Hi...I'm not yet qualified in acrylics yet as still training. However I have done this set on one hand so far. I'm using nsi products and forms.

I would b really gratefully for some feed back please if I'm on the right track with shape, apex and free edge. Tia xx
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471101507.310066.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471101525.576897.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471101543.261102.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471101557.442534.jpg

Looking good for a start, nice round the cuticle, no touching skin. Slightly too much product all over which is making them a little 'bulbous'. They could also do with 'slimming' a little down the sides of the side walls of the actual nail bed, you'll achieve this by ensuring you keep the abrasive straight when you file, don't rock it around when straightening the sides. Its really hard to explain, ask your tutor to show you, its easier in person.

Apex placement is great and free edge thickness about right - well done :D

Ps - thank you for providing pictures from lots of different angles

Thanks so much for ur feedback it means a lot. Will take on board about the side walls..and over perhaps got a bit carried away with product [emoji4]. Will wait and see now how long they last and if I get lifting [emoji51] xx

Thanks so much for ur feedback it means a lot. Will take on board about the side walls..and over perhaps got a bit carried away with product [emoji4]. Will wait and see now how long they last and if I get lifting [emoji51] xx

I suspect you may get a little in about a week/10 days around the cuticle....purely from the weight of the product as it grows out, they will unbalance pretty quickly once the apex moves out of place

I suspect you may get a little in about a week/10 days around the cuticle....purely from the weight of the product as it grows out, they will unbalance pretty quickly once the apex moves out of place
How do you ensure lifting doesnt happen because of this? You mention the weight but the apex area will always have a little more product so what do you do to stop this affecting it as it grows out? Thanks :)

There should be no visible ridge where the product begins, it should be seamless, this is what will prevent lifting (presuming your prep is perfect and no cuticle on the nail plate) x

How do you ensure lifting doesnt happen because of this? You mention the weight but the apex area will always have a little more product so what do you do to stop this affecting it as it grows out? Thanks :)

It should have a 'little' more product at the stress area, I'd say on that set there is probably twice as much as needed.

As Blossom says, there should be not visible ridge at the cuticle, but i think that would disappear when final finishing if there wasnt so much product in the way. Reducing the volume of product will tweek so many elements and make it all much quicker and sleeker. The trick is not to then go too thin :confused:

It should have a 'little' more product at the stress area, I'd say on that set there is probably twice as much as needed.

As Blossom says, there should be not visible ridge at the cuticle, but i think that would disappear when final finishing if there wasnt so much product in the way. Reducing the volume of product will tweek so many elements and make it all much quicker and sleeker. The trick is not to then go too thin :confused:

The [emoji53] at the end really made me laugh and we know exactly what you mean lol

There should be no visible ridge where the product begins, it should be seamless, this is what will prevent lifting (presuming your prep is perfect and no cuticle on the nail plate) x
So reduce the amount of acrylic around the cuticle and file/ blend to look like its coming from the cuticle... this will stop any lifting is that right? (And correct prep!)

So reduce the amount of acrylic around the cuticle and file/ blend to look like its coming from the cuticle... this will stop any lifting is that right? (And correct prep!)

Yes generally, there is no strength in the product over Zone 3, it's just there as balance and connection to the natural nail, it only needs to be really thin, then it's really easy to blend away and you won't see at ridge.

On the nails above, a lot less product at the stress area, would allow better access to Zone 3 allowing better blending in when applying the product initially and final finishing. Buffing away some of the stress area on those nails would, by natural movement of the abrasive, thin out the Zone 3 area anyway. That's why a bit less product in the first place would tweek so many other bits, but they are still a great set for a newbie (emk32 - please don't take the critique in a bad way, it's really not meant to bash you in anyway)

Yes generally, there is no strength in the product over Zone 3, it's just there as balance and connection to the natural nail, it only needs to be really thin, then it's really easy to blend away and you won't see at ridge.

On the nails above, a lot less product at the stress area, would allow better access to Zone 3 allowing better blending in when applying the product initially and final finishing. Buffing away some of the stress area on those nails would, by natural movement of the abrasive, thin out the Zone 3 area anyway. That's why a bit less product in the first place would tweek so many other bits, but they are still a great set for a newbie (emk32 - please don't take the critique in a bad way, it's really not meant to bash you in anyway)
Thats really helpful thank you and im sure will help a lot of other people who are struggling with acrylics also :) x

Right, this is a bit weird...but hey it's me....stay with me.....:p

Bouncing round YouTube as you do I came across a video showing the most perfect shaped nails I've seen in a long time. Now the review is for Mirror Polish from Born Pretty, which is lovely but I'm not linking to it for the polish, it's for the nails Denise is putting the stuff on. OMG! If I could turn out nails like that I'd be in heaven.

Look at how slim they are, no bulbous, rounded sidewalls, they come out perfectly straight from the cuticle to the end, just before they shape out at the FE. Check out the view at 1minute16seconds.

Check out the stress area, ever so slightly thicker but not massively bloated, and the product almost disappears at the cuticle. Check out the thumb on left (holding the brush) you can see the slight curve of the stress area and how it thins back out at the FE and cuticle - 1minute23seconds.

Now they are the kind of nails I aspire to produce, maybe one day :D

Taking the feedback on board..r these any better. This is my wrong hand tho so using left hand to do my right [emoji51]
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471361277.014906.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471361287.985657.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1471361297.480745.jpg

Taking the feedback on board..r these any better. This is my wrong hand tho so using left hand to do my right [emoji51]
View attachment 199945View attachment 199946View attachment 199947

Much better! :D Nice work. Because you are filing with the wrong hand they are bending a little to the left, but hey, left hand filing on the right hand is nearly impossible. I still give myself cramp everytime I do mine :confused:

The lifting is starting, you can see it clearly on the fore and middle and a little on the pinkie. It's the same place on all of the nails, so you might want to concentrate on ensuring the debris is cleaned out when doing your prep, that you're not touching skin and that you get in there really well with dehydrator.

They a much slimmer down the side walls and overall I'd say you've gone from a 5/10 to a 7/10 (but I'm a stingy score giver ;) )

I agree about the lifting. It was quite hard placing the product with the wrong hand [emoji23] hopefully I will get better with practice on myself but chuffed with a 7/10 for my overall efforts [emoji106]. Thanks for taking time out to comment [emoji4]

Latest posts

Back