Advice needed about extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mia

Reaction score
Hi Hair geeks I have had the hair cut from hell:eek: and Im now considering extensions. The salon I am looking at are offering a good deal not sure if im allowed to say prices on here. but my friend is putting me off the idea saying they are to hard to maintain and your unable to blowdry them ur self .she had them last year and had a blowdry weekly at the salon that put them it. I would like some advice from you lovely geeks about this please.

Hi, I think your friends salon might have been making a bit of extra money out of your friend lol. It is certainly possible to blowdry your hair if you have extensions as long as you are careful not to apply excessive heat to the actual bonds as this could damage them.
When considering getting extensions it is important to find out about the quality of hair being used as poor quality hair will result in matting. Ask them if they are using remi hair as this has the all the cuticles facing the same way the same as your natural hair and therefore shouldn't matt. Obviously this hair is more expensive so as a rule if it comes at a cheap price it won't be remi.

HTH
Emma:)

Thanks Emma I will check what the hair is .

I have had extensions in for nearly 12 weeks now & IMO they are relatively easy to maintain. A lot easier than I imagined they would be tbh. The things I am most careful about is brushing them with a soft bristled brush & not tugging at the bonds, using the right products to look after them, I wash my hair as normal, blow dry, straighten/curl it as normal, and attend regular maintenance appointments. Im definately glad I had my extensions & they look fab if I do say so myself :lol:

I actually found the hardest part of it all was not washing my hair everyday as I used too!

Search on here for hair extensions, there is loads of advice on which hair is good, how to care for them etc, you may even find a Geek in your area.

Last edited:
Hi Mia

Their not difficult to maintain although you may find things like blow drying (which is totally fine to do btw) and straightning take a little longer until you get used to it, depending on how short your hair is and how long and thick you want it to be you may find the extra weight feels a little unusual but again you will get used to this. The important thing really is to make sure you have regular maintainece appointments (normally every 6 weeks) as may find you have problems with the extensions if you dont. Your extensionist should be able to tell you and give you full aftercare instructions.

Hope this helps
Rachel :)

European hair is the best. Remy hair is most certainly not top quality.
You can wash and blow dry decent hair ext in the same way as normal hair.

European hair is the best. Remy hair is most certainly not top quality.
You can wash and blow dry decent hair ext in the same way as normal hair.

Hi mia , got to agree with Persianista :) as she says .... good virgin hair can be treated just like your own hair and is very easy to look after plus good hair is always re usable.
If you get the cheaper coated hair ..... it will be very high maintenance and far more prone to tangling and matting , plus you won't be able to to re install it ,
and once that artificial coating gets shampooed off ..... that's when the problems of matting and tangling will begin.

Good hair will never encounter such problems as it doesn't need any artificial coatings as it is all root to point correct

Cheaper hair needs chemical coatings to disguise the quality of the turned hair that is present within the bundle.... and it's these turned hairs which cause all the problems .... this hair in my opinion is not worth using as it's simply not root to tip correct ,
it will end backcombing on itself due to the friction caused by the cuticles facing the wrong way and rubbing up against the hairs which are the right way.
You will always pay dearer for good hair , usually starts from around £200 alone just for the hair!
but.... it works out cheaper in the long run as you will have no problems with it , it will always look fabulous and it will pay for itself with further re installs.
So it's well worth paying for it.

hth :) minky

Thanks Geeks the info was really helpful going to make sure I have a good look around and find a good salon.:lol:

Latest posts

Back