Advice needed for percentage basis self employment please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ND2304

Reaction score
Hi , could anybody give me a bit of advice? I've only ever been employed before and I've moved down south from up north, about to return to work after a baby and all the salons with any stylist vacancies down here seem to be self employed , I have one who has got in contact and has said I give them 25% of my earnings and then I have to get my own colours, peroxide and foils, everything else provided. How does that work out with colour buying? Do you buy from the salon or buy loads of colours for yourself? Also is it better being employed or doing something like that? Is it a decent percentage basis? All new to me dunno what to do cause I'd have to build a client base down here as I don't know anybody. Help please :)

I'm the other way I had clients already to bring to the salon I work at being self employed I just do 2 days and pay £25 a day every week.
The salon provides the tea/coffee shampoo and towels .
I think percentage wise is ok if you have no clients to start with x

I think for you to buy the products aswell isn't right , I don't think that sounds right to me I wouldn't be happy with that .
Xx

So say if you made £200 a day they will take £50 off you plus you've got to buy all your colours xx

So say if you made £200 a day they will take £50 off you plus you've got to buy all your colours xx
Is that why the percentage is so low though cause I have to buy my own colours? Do you buy your own colours? Xx

So near you if I bought my own colours I would still have to give 40% to the salon?
Do you think 25% plus buying my own colours etc is good? I'm just bit worried of the start up cost and having to buy all the colours as I won't always know what clients are having done? Xx

Yes. 25% is really good IMO!

That's part of being self employed!

We've all had to pay out start up costs!

Yes. 25% is really good IMO!

That's part of being self employed!

We've all had to pay out start up costs!

You're right. I'm going to speak to them on Wednesday and ask any questions and have everything explained to me properly X

Yeah I buy all my own colours .x

@AcidPerm @Grace_Hair @hair206 sorry guys could you just check out the message I recieved from the owner? I've been doing some reading and just a bit concerned about the way she is saying about the hours and needing cover etc, this isn't self employed if she is saying what she needs and surely it's not my responsibility to then cover anything ? (I'm not in a position to cover anything anyway as i can't get the childcare for more than 2 days. I replied saying I only wanted 2 days) just a bit confused if this is right in what she is saying? Thanks xx

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 19
No. I don't believe you should have to cover if youre self employed.

Although, as a team, you'd probably do it anyway. Where possible.

You should be able to come and go as pleased. But I would like to know my chair renters hours approximately.

Yeah I don't think you would need to cover any sickness etc as what if you had another job or children etc you can't drop everything just to please them .
Things have got to work both ways not just one way .
I would go in get a feel for it and have a good chat with the owner face to face it's easier rather than texting or on the telephone xx

Latest posts

Back