Advice Needed Please on Colouring for my Mum's Hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

costcutter

Reaction score
Hi There

Would greatly appraciate any advice available on colouring my mums hair please. I realise this is going to be a long winded post asking for alot, though would really like to get this right as is her birthday soon - thanks.

Heres the situation. My mum was getting her hair done regularly until recently when the reccession hit our house badly. She was having half head of copper and blonde highlights which always looked quite harsh to her hair in my opinion. For about the last year I have been toping her highlights up with a wella highlift 12 though due to lack of lift never achieved the drama or brightness she desired, also with me erring on this side of caution with the amount of weaves aded they merely dissapear into the hair after drying.. She also had a go herself with a box dye which result in a warm mid blonde and the recent weather had really lightened the top layer to a very dry looking yellow/orange blonde.

I took advantage of this inadvertant lift recently by adding a Wella high lift pearl (12.89) with low peroxide to the sunlightened parts on the top layer and around the face, and loreal richesse hazelnut honey (6.?) to the rest, which I happened to have spare. The results turned out quite nice, shiny, natural looking, removed the yellow tinges and made it look less dry and covered any grey she had coming through. However it isnt really what she is looking for as she wants more drama, brighter whiter highlights around the face and likes a bit of bright red for contrast, although likes the rest of her hair untouched as has grown it very long down her back, though has been knwon to be talked into richesse. I was thinking of using platinum plus ammonia free for her highlights for minimum damage, although was concerned whether it would lift enough due to her known resistance, and whether it is as little damaging as I understand. In addition I was considering a luocolour PO1 toner over the highlights, as would give her a very light look and blend with some she has coming through which is a very white/silver, does this work for this? My other question is the richesse shade, as she likes reds I was considering a cool copper in shade 6 though am concerned it may now class with the silver? If so I could go for a more natural cooler base in a shade 6, as the whiteness of the blonde is more important than the red, any suggestions on shade? Also if the red would suit how would it lie on the bits already lightened, would it result in coverage for me to even things out without looking patchy?

FYI my mum is in her 50s though very youthful physically and mentally. She is very small around 5ft and her style of dress is casual and she spends alot of time outside. She pale to the point of white/grey and her eyes are a steely/grey blue. She never tans and has long straight fine hair down to her bum, which is naturally around a 5/6 mousy brown. Most of her hair is natural with highlights on the very top layer and face framing.

So in summary my question is what can I use to give her the glamour and drama she is looking for, with the whiteness around her fae she ddesires most, whilst complimenting her natural colouring as well as keeping her hair as natural and helathy as possible. She doesnt have the time to get it done very often either so must be something which will last well until refreshed. Also what do you suggest in regards to how to apply, weaving or slicing etc?

All a big ask I know - so many thanks in advance for those who take the time to help :)

I should add that of course I realise the best and only real answer is to visit a professional colourist, however this is not an option, so am hoping to do the best we can ourselves and welcome you advice in order to achieve minimal disappointment.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back