Advice on beauty business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

body talk

Tinkerbell
Reaction score
I'm running my own salon and until now it's always just been me in it. I now have the chance to move to bigger premises and my question for business owners is - do you think it's better to 'rent' a chair/space to other therapists, or to employ someone?
The way I see it:

Renting a chair out =
1, empowering other women to be responsible for their own business.
2, I get a small fee from their chair rental which helps pay my bills.
3, I get company in the salon.
4, I don't need to worry about being an employer and what that entails.

Employing someone =
1, I retain the right to make the decisions for everything that goes on in the salon
2, I get company in the salon, but rather than it being a colleague its more of an 'employer/employee' which I'm not sure how that would work.
3, I need to offer them a pension and worry if they're off sick etc etc.

I'm half thinking of renting a chair out to one or two and then employing a receptionist, but I don't know how difficult this would all be!

If there's any salon owners with tips out there or reading this and thinking I've missed something please do share your knowledge - I could really do with the advice. Thanks o_O

Hi

You’ve made some good points and think you have the key ones there.

Both operating models work; it’s down to what you’re trying to do with your business: your vision.

With the rental model, you have little control over what your renters offer; how they price, their service levels etc. You’re really just renting out an area within your salon.

With employees, it’s your vision of your brand you instill through your employees. You set the service offering, the prices, the service levels and your Clients experience.

Once you know which direction you’re after, it’s then easier to choose the model that best suits this?

Hope that helps,
Andrew.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Andrew. I think perhaps a bit of both is what I'm looking for - some who are self employed & maybe one or two who are employed by me? I'll need to look into it further but thanks for your thoughts :)

You need to decide on financial viability run a cash flow analysis on the situation and see which one covers the bills and brings in profit. I couldn't rent out rooms my business would die, I couldn't even cover the running costs. I also have an iron grip on quality control, with regular training and maintaining standards across the board, it's something my clients always comment on, that no matter who they have the treatments with they are practically identical.

'Empowering other women.......'

I've been 'shat' on from high, trying this one, whilst still wearing my rose tinted glasses......:oops:

Thanks rubywoo, that seems like some sound advice there. I think I'm going to try the self employed one and if I find it's running away from me then I'll look into employing. I like the idea of your clients saying it doesn't matter the therapist the treatment is so similar- well done you.

Sorry to hear about your own experience red star. That's partly my concern too. I guess I can only try it & see what works best. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back