Advice on booth rental and new client %

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelemmingfairy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just started (1 week) in a new salon. I'm paying $100 per week (booth rent) to start with an increase to be discussed as I build. I came with my own clients but am also taking clients the salon provides. I provide all my own products, as well as, Swarovski crystals, etc.

Today, the manager explains to me that any salon clients they book me is only 50% to me. Nothing was said about this when I spoke to the owner.

I don't mind throwing the salon some money for their booking clients with me but 50% and I'm supplying everything? I've never had to pay a salon a commission and rent before. Maybe this is standard practice in the industry?

Any advice before sitting down with the owner would be appreciated!

That’s ridiculous and very underhand, although I’d also be very wary of the vague ‘increase in rent to be discussed’ option. If they suddenly tripled your rent after you were established, it would be essential but frustrating having to look for new premises. They really should have made this clear when renting out the desk but they don’t sound like decent fair minded people. I think if you agree to those terms, you’re unlikely to make enough to live on.

If you were in the U.K., they’d be laughed at for suggesting such a thing, but in the US, it’s far more unregulated.

Can you ask around locally? My gut is to say that’s far too high and either offer them a much smaller percentage (10%) or simply look elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back