advice on eletric files/drills

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tickled Pink!

Reaction score
out of interest, does anyone use a drill, particularly for a backfill/french rebalance - where you replace the white smile line? I've heard with the relevant training, it can prove really good to drill out a 'channel' where the new smile line is meant to be, apply the new white and then file smooth - any excess which is not in this 'channel' just gets buffed away.

It's not something i have ever considered to use before, not had a need and because of the bad press relating to use in NSS and i just wondered those that use, what training did you do, how much did the drill and the training cost etc. Any info on pros and cons would be appreciated. thanks!

if you enhancements are not cheese wedges to begin with then I don't see the need for a drill, it takes so little time to rebalance anyway

hey Dianne check out Geegs tutorials maybe this might make you go against the idea of the outlay for a drill....

Hope this helps...

PS I think drills help cause microshattering in the enhancments! or I might be talking out of my hat :wink2:

I have considered purchasing a drill only for the purpose of fixing very thick nails that were done at a different salon, just to cut down on all the boring filing time

I also do not see the need to use a drill myself - Fab Freak is right - if your nails are not "cheese wedges" there should be no need for an electric file.

I think that they could be useful at times, but not completely necessary, and of course proper training is essential so as not to damage the natural nail.

I know here in Canada the electric files are very expensive - about $600.00 Canadian for a good one, and about $50 for training. Apparently you want one that is variable speed, with a higher maximum RPM's like 35,000 or something, but make sure it is variable speed.

i use an efile and file by hand
i use the ezflow 30k efile but unfrotunately it has been discontinued :(
i think that efiles are fab as they stop me getting achy wrists and elbows (i suffer from golfers elbow)
there have been various posts in the past abt them
if you do a search on efile or drill im sure it will come up with loads of posts
in fact my first post on the board was abt an efile....lol
lots of people are for them and many are against
i think that with the relevent training and eduction on how to use an efile safely there is no problem in using them
unfortunately its untrained techs and nss that have given efiles/drills bad press
if i can help at all on the efile front then please just pm me

Jess
xox

thanks guys. Not sure whether i am seriously thinking or not! A few years ago, i severed every tendon in my right hand - it was a very slow and painful process getting it back to normal (months and months and months...) I perservered and have full use and hardly any scars but in the winter months i really suffer from aches and pains in it...
This'll be my first winter as a working busy technician and am really thinking ahead as to whether my old 'war wound' will give me gip or not!
thanks for your comments

I saw an e-file being demo'd at the recent Pro Beauty show here in Dublin and I was very impressed, especially when chanelling out the new smile line for the white. I too get very sore wrists and elbows, more so if buffing, so I've ordered an e-file. I will be getting training from our local NSI before using it on a client though. I don't think I have any need to use it for just an infill as that takes me no time anyway, it really was just buffing andsmile lines I ordered it for. Can't wait for it's arrival - I'm dying to see if I can get a decent shine with the chamois buffer and buffing cream!

JackieMc said:
I will be getting training from our local NSI
at first glance i thought you said NSS! :eek:

Latest posts

Back