Advice on rent a chair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjpuds

Reaction score
ok any help would be good...been hairdressing for over 25 years . running shop for over 15 ...but i have a question...is there an easy way to mix rent a chair stylists and employed.over the years i have alway offered employment and to under the sercuirty of a salon ...but my problem is two of my staff want to leave and work in a rent a chair salon ...they have been with me for only just over a year..only working to about 50% busy but in these times this is stilll ok...
i have looked at all the pros and cons ...but my biggest worry is will i stop being a manager and start to be a landlord...the salon at the moment is only the two that want to go which are full time . and two junior stylists . and two part time ...i dont want to upset the rest of the staff..
also when it come down to money and sorting out the bills at he moment they are doing some technical work for me this could get tricky as they want there own switch machine.(two bills could happen)
i think they are wanting to keep there money there own(dropping the odd cash bill here and there) .we run a computer till that would cope with a rent a chair setup ...but i reckon they are wanting a more flexable appointment book...
or am i just making a mountain from a mole hill...
any ideas or even if any one is doing it them selves in there salon how they have it set up would be very helpful...

Rent a chair works well for stylists with thier own clientelle. so these stylists gain clients in your salon then take them to the salon down the road?
I have a rent a chair person. she has her own clients and doesnt do salon clients. She provides all her own products and equipment. She pays a flat rent. Her clients payments do not go through my till. It all works quite well.
Maybe you should work out what you currently make in profit from these stylists and charge that as rent.Give them a shelf for their products and space for their towels and shampoo. When they realise they gotta pay out for their stock etc as well as rent and tax, it probably won't add up if they are only 50% busy.

Latest posts

Back