Advice on training please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryMouse

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and was hoping for some advice on training. I've decided that being a nail technician is the career path for me, nails are something I've always loved doing since being a little a girl. I'm always doing my own and if I do say so myself I'm quite good at it however finding the right kind of training is proving to be a bit of an issue for me. I'm 22, live with my fiance and our 2 children (aged 5 and 20 months).. I live just outside Barnsley and neither me nor my fiance drive. I've looked into enrolling in a course at Barnsley college as they have some starting from September onwards however money is tight at the moment and travel + child care would work out very expensive so I then looked into going down the Apprenticeship route so I could earn money whilst I train but the only Apprenticeships I can find are in Huddersfield/Rotheram/Leeds kind of way which is really too far for me to be travelling on public transport, they're miles away! I've looked into doing courses from home however a lot of them seem to look a bit dodgy, a lot of the qualifications they give you I've never even heard of? And I don't really have £600+ just laying around especially when like I said the qualifications might not be recognised. I appreciate I'm sort of putting barriers in the way of every option but I'm really struggling to find the right option for me. This is something that I really want to do!

Sorry for the super long post, any advice more than welcome. Thanks in advance!

I originally trained with Salon Services to try and keep costs down...
I ended up having to retrain as the training was inferior. I didn't go to a college, I trained with Nail Harmony for their Hard Gel and Soak off Gel Polish and I never looked back, they were amazing xx

...jewels not tools...

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you looked at Essential Nails? You can do it from home in spare time and pay monthly, you can also do one module at a time so no rush. This might suit you from what you have said. Hope this helps. Xxx

Thanks ladies! Yeah I came across Essential nails last night and have been looking into it, they look amazing :) fingers crossed I will be able to sort something out with them. It can be so hard once you've left school to find training etc that works with your life! Thanks again xx:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back