Advice please-colour correction gone wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen boswell

Reaction score
Hello! Was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on this one. I'm
Just finishing up my level 3 hair and we're being assessed on colour correction. I found a lady on the Facebook models page looking for one so I invited her into my college salon day to have it done. She came in as a base 5 with a L'Oréal box dye on top and wanted a balayage. I bleach cleansed the hair to lift and remove the box dye colour, dried it off then went back in to balayage. I got her ends to a level 8 and toned with colour touch 8/81 to remove some of the warmth. I also put a 5/66 on her root as she had a slight root regrowth and it matched her existing colour. Everything was fine and she was happy even commented on my fb status but then yesterday I receive a txt saying her hair is orange and her root red and what can she do to fix it. I said to try colour fresh 8/81 but I'm not sure that will help. She works on a Friday so cant come back into salon to get it fixed. I would offer to fix it at home but then I'll be out of pocket. If I had done it on my own that would be my first suggestion but I done it in college under supervision and passed on it. The lecturer even said how good the tones I got were. Any advice? I'm just starting out and worried she'll give me negative feedback on my fb page. Thanks.

You're not responsible for her hair once she's left the college salon, especially if your tutor said it was a good job.

Red, orange and yellow are undertones in the hair and will be exposed in coloured/bleached hair when the colour fades naturally. You'd expect to have to do a top up 4-6 weeks afterwards. The fact that she's contacted you so soon after having it done strongly suggests that she's used some awful cheap shampoo containing harsh alkaline detergents that strip fresh colour from the hair. Timotei, Tresseme, Herbal Essences, Pantene, Head and Shoulders, Johnsons baby shampoo, etc.

When doing your consultation, always stress that using salon quality aftercare will improve the longevity of the colour service.

Thank you for replying. It totally knocked my confidence yesterday I left college on Friday thinking I had done a really good job to get as much lift and nice warm tones on the hair. She had a lot of warmth in her hair but she said she didn't want to be ashy as it washed her out. I feel like balayage is such a difficult skill and so many people do it differently but I was happy with the outcome. X

Thank you for replying. It totally knocked my confidence yesterday I left college on Friday thinking I had done a really good job to get as much lift and nice warm tones on the hair. She had a lot of warmth in her hair but she said she didn't want to be ashy as it washed her out. I feel like balayage is such a difficult skill and so many people do it differently but I was happy with the outcome. X
Don't worry chick, if you hadn't done a good job there is no way you would of been passed off.
You had to cleanse the hair as she had used a box dye and wanted to be lighter therefore the undertones are going to be more red/orange. Completely agree with AcidPerm her home care products are probably high street products which will strip the colour out and cause fading a lot quicker.
If she wanted something done at home and your level 2 qualified and you feel confident enough to go ahead I don't see why not but you would charge it as a new colour service again defiantly do not put your self out of pocket as you will find throughout your career some people do just like to moan all you can do is advise.
Good luck with the wrest of your level 3.

She's obviously used a naff cheap shampoo and that's got nothing to do with you or your skill :) you obviously did a good job to get passed off

Thank you guys for your replys! You're right I wouldn't have been passed if it wasn't up to scratch. I do feel confident enough to rectify on my own but I'm going to offer her the chance to come back I to the college and have what she doesn't like changed and if she can't make it in I'm going to give her the money back she paid(£30) I just wish she had said on Friday what she wasn't happy with and I could've fixed it there and then rather than a couple and later. I think from what she was saying she's either had dark hair or really light blonde and isn't used to the in between blonde shades that have more warmth and tone. It's a learning experience for me. X

Unless you know you made a mistake, you really shouldn't offer a refund. Don't get yourself a reputation as a soft touch.

I agree that clients sometimes complain about their cut/colour simply because they've chosen a look based on a picture or celebrity icon and haven't thought about whether it will suit them. A good consultation will help you to figure out whether the look they've requested will suit them and advise them accordingly. However, if you've given them what they asked for, then they must accept responsibility for the choices they make.

I agree, you should not offer a refund or tone for free. You should offer her a toner as a service or to come in and talk about her aftercare choices etc :)
If she was really unhappy she should have said earlier :)

Model = training = cheap/no charge = guinea pig! :p

Model = training = cheap/no charge = guinea pig! :p
Oh red star that really made me giggle. I'll not offer her a refund, think I just got myself in a tizzy as I feel like I'm just starting out I don't want to be disappointing people. I have so much passion for hairdressing I put too much pressure on myself. Thank you all for your advice, really appreciated. X

Try not to worry about it! You did a good job, you got passed off and she left happy! We're hairdressers not magicians. We will always come across difficult people :)

Latest posts

Back