Advice please: wages

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattyfudge

Reaction score
I am researching into opening a new salon and wanted to know ( for finance forecast purposes) rough idea of wages/ rate per hour or how to go about renting out a chair for a senior stylist and a stylist in Essex...or anywhere.
I am trained beauty therapist and holistic therapist and hadn't anticipated adding hair services into the mix!
Any advice or help would be much appreciated! Thank you ❤️

Employee - standard is minimum wage plus a bit extra depending on their experience and percentage based commission. If you're not a hairdresser but thinking of employing, you really need to employ an experienced senior stylist (preferably with an existing clientele) as you won't be able to fix any problems yourself so you need to minimise the likelihood of complaints from clients.

Self employed - either percentage split such as 60/40 of takings or a set chair rental fee per day/week. You can't mix the two. HMRC publish useful guidelines but it doesn't include suggested figures.
You work out the split or fee based on what services you will be including such as fresh laundry, products, receptionist, heating, water charges....

I ran a quick search on 'rent a chair', results below. Have a read through a few threads to get a feel for what you need to know.

http://www.salongeek.com/search/22265/?q=Rent+a+chair&o=date&c[node]=65

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Very helpful advice!
Really looking to hire one senior stylist and as I have level 2 training in hairdressing (but in no way do I want to be a hairdresser - did the qualification to get a feel for it) I can wash hair and prep clients if he/she is running late.
Was thinking of having 2 hair stations/ chairs and 2 basins with 2 climazones etc but just one senior stylist.

It's so scary but there really is a need for it in the area so to combine hair and beauty really is a must x

It's good you've got hairdressing training. That will be very handy for trade testing!

Personally, I wouldn't bother investing in two climazones immediately as I don't think they're used quite as much? Certainly, most colour houses do not recommend using heat for processing although I know some hairdressers like to to speed up the process a bit. Are you expecting to do a lot of 'old lady' sets?

I can imagine there will be some sets

You can set under a climazone?

Erm, we used them at college for colour, perms and sets as you can adjust the heat / fan speed but I haven't done a set recently...

The ones we had were German made as the default language was German. One day a student friend was trying to set it up and accidentally re-set the whole thing so that the touch screen was all in German. I hadn't done any German since school so I was desperately trying to work out what it said to re-set the language back to English. Managed to sort it out before the tutor spotted it.

Hahaa oops! I've inly ever used a three sided one which was like a electric fire looking thing & a rollerball one both were for colour tho, we had a granny type hood dryer for sets, good to know tho! Might just invest in one now!

We had wall mounted ones and a portable one on wheels for moving between stations. That was the one that went into default mode. I quite like hood dryers for creating a fifties retro salon look. :)

I have a hair and beauty salon and I am a trained beauty and holistic therapist myself. I rent chairs out to stylists which I find so straight forward, they pay me a daily rate and have to have set days that they pay me for but they come and go as they please. That way you get paid whether they come in to work or not. I also allow them 2 weeks rent free per year. They pay me £25 a day and provide their own products and towels and do their own laundry. There is no receptionist or apprentice to help them out but I have said if they want these extra services I will happily provide them but at a cost! X

Thanks so much for your reply - it's really helpful and reassuring having people around to offer their help and experiences. X

Latest posts

Back