Advise with colour correction!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

profusion

Reaction score
Hello guys i could really do with some help. I am a trained hairdresser - i work mobile so have no back up from any other professionals to turn to.
I have just been through 3 mobile hair dressers and two supposedly reputable salons, all of who have messed my hair up badly- i do not want to go back in to a salon, i have no trust in them what so ever so i am going to do it myself with the help of a friend to tackle the back. Im afraid this is a bit of a long story however your opinions on how to go about this are extremely appreciated. here is how my story goes.....

i originally had white blonde bleached hair, did it myself and was fine utill i decided i wanted to go caramel- could not foil the back of my hair so called in the mobile hairdresser- she kept using bleach over my hair and my hair and the slightly darker tones kept going flat and despite telling her this she just kept on the same route, so...i got someone else, i explained to her it was too blonde i wanted CARAMEL so said was aiming for a really light caramel brown all over with some caramel blonde only on the top- 2, i had told her my hair kept falling khaki...i have NO idea what this girl did, but the all over colour went a washy pinky colour with slight purple tinge, i was mortified- got another lady in who bleached all the pink out- my poor hair :( i spent 4 months with protein treatments and conditioning treatments not even hair dryer was put on my hair- actually my hair got back in to pretty good condition despite the trouble. So....... explained all this to a new lady who trained again at a pretty reputable salon- i told her as my hair was so blonde again after all the bleach my hair would need pre-pigmenting- surely this is basically colour training and knowledge? well she claimed she knew exactly what she was doing and would finally get me to my caramel (think beyonce caramel/blonde) she went straight in with bleach for my roots for the blonde highlights and A PERMANENT COLOUR level 6-not sure of the tones but this is what i ended up with as the main problem...the blonde again stuck being white blonde, as for the all over colour my roots and for about 2 inches down the hair was bright copper and then suddenly .....khaki green tinged brown- too dar for what i wanted :(
totally at the end of my tether so took the plunge and went into a salon (i have salon fear from bad hair cuts given to me). went for consultation explained my back ground in hairdressing so i hoped they would be sure to do a good job-took my good old extensions in for the colour match - they are a P6/27 in the extension world so (warm mid brown and strawberry blonde)-i would say these where both CARAMEL toned hair-google the "p6/27" you can see for yourself, went back in to get hair done and now........ they put an all over 7.31 loreal- quasi??? pulled through highlights at the top, she used something different on roots to knock out the copper....what im left with is......DARK ends from the porous hair absorbing too much they almost have a very slight red tinge to them, kHAKI mid-lengths STILL and the roots are OKAY except where its gone over the full head blonde highlight strands from previous colour experiences and those are more khaki green at the root too with dark ends. and WHITE BLONDE on my top highlights- the girl tried to blag i would never get those blonde highlights caramel and i would have to grow them out and just have caramel where my virgin hair would be coloured and put up with white ends.....either i have been trained wrong or this is a complete lie???

What the flippin hell do i do?? My thoughts where... (i refuse to go back to the salon)
My Aim - i want a base level 7/8 all over so quite light caramel brown with CARAMEL blonde.
SO the WHITE BLONDE LIGHTS----it is possible to get white blonde to go caramel right guys???
I would actually pre-pigment them to get the gold undertone for the warmth- i like to use mouse and then use a semi perm to get the caramel tone with 10 vol??? (my hair is very porous at the ends and i believe permanent would be too damaging and as the hair shaft is so damaged and the size of the molecules in the perm die would mean my hair would throw off the colour?????

Any recommendations for a nice blonde caramel?? i use l'oreal but am open to use anything else and of course do the homework of that range first

THIS IS MY MAIN PROBLEM ATM.....
Ok how do i tackle the all over colour....colour strip the ends....get that dark out? but then i think how do i knock out thaneutraliset slight green on the mid-lengths?? do i just colour strip that too up to the okay root colour then pre-pigment the mid-lengths and ends and go back over with the base level and the correct tones for a caramel brown?? or do i try to the green buy knocking it out with a red tone in my desired level- so a level 7/8 i was thinking a 7.63 - the 6 to get the red to neutralise the green and the gold to add to caramel i want?? will this work???
i believe i need to colour strip the ends regardless as the are too dark- they look a level 5/4 - the mid-lengths look a level 6/7.
any suggestions on any part of this LONG story are much appreciated.i really dont trust and salon workers im not going in there, please help me!!!
Thanks guys xxx

Hello guys i could really do with some help. I am a trained hairdresser - i work mobile so have no back up from any other professionals to turn to.
I have just been through 3 mobile hair dressers and two supposedly reputable salons, all of who have messed my hair up badly- i do not want to go back in to a salon, i have no trust in them what so ever so i am going to do it myself with the help of a friend to tackle the back. Im afraid this is a bit of a long story however your opinions on how to go about this are extremely appreciated. here is how my story goes.....

i originally had white blonde bleached hair, did it myself and was fine utill i decided i wanted to go caramel- could not foil the back of my hair so called in the mobile hairdresser- she kept using bleach over my hair and my hair and the slightly darker tones kept going flat and despite telling her this she just kept on the same route, so...i got someone else, i explained to her it was too blonde i wanted CARAMEL so said was aiming for a really light caramel brown all over with some caramel blonde only on the top- 2, i had told her my hair kept falling khaki...i have NO idea what this girl did, but the all over colour went a washy pinky colour with slight purple tinge, i was mortified- got another lady in who bleached all the pink out- my poor hair :( i spent 4 months with protein treatments and conditioning treatments not even hair dryer was put on my hair- actually my hair got back in to pretty good condition despite the trouble. So....... explained all this to a new lady who trained again at a pretty reputable salon- i told her as my hair was so blonde again after all the bleach my hair would need pre-pigmenting- surely this is basically colour training and knowledge? well she claimed she knew exactly what she was doing and would finally get me to my caramel (think beyonce caramel/blonde) she went straight in with bleach for my roots for the blonde highlights and A PERMANENT COLOUR level 6-not sure of the tones but this is what i ended up with as the main problem...the blonde again stuck being white blonde, as for the all over colour my roots and for about 2 inches down the hair was bright copper and then suddenly .....khaki green tinged brown- too dar for what i wanted :(
totally at the end of my tether so took the plunge and went into a salon (i have salon fear from bad hair cuts given to me). went for consultation explained my back ground in hairdressing so i hoped they would be sure to do a good job-took my good old extensions in for the colour match - they are a P6/27 in the extension world so (warm mid brown and strawberry blonde)-i would say these where both CARAMEL toned hair-google the "p6/27" you can see for yourself, went back in to get hair done and now........ they put an all over 7.31 loreal- quasi??? pulled through highlights at the top, she used something different on roots to knock out the copper....what im left with is......DARK ends from the porous hair absorbing too much they almost have a very slight red tinge to them, kHAKI mid-lengths STILL and the roots are OKAY except where its gone over the full head blonde highlight strands from previous colour experiences and those are more khaki green at the root too with dark ends. and WHITE BLONDE on my top highlights- the girl tried to blag i would never get those blonde highlights caramel and i would have to grow them out and just have caramel where my virgin hair would be coloured and put up with white ends.....either i have been trained wrong or this is a complete lie???

What the flippin hell do i do?? My thoughts where... (i refuse to go back to the salon)
My Aim - i want a base level 7/8 all over so quite light caramel brown with CARAMEL blonde.
SO the WHITE BLONDE LIGHTS----it is possible to get white blonde to go caramel right guys???
I would actually pre-pigment them to get the gold undertone for the warmth- i like to use mouse and then use a semi perm to get the caramel tone with 10 vol??? (my hair is very porous at the ends and i believe permanent would be too damaging and as the hair shaft is so damaged and the size of the molecules in the perm die would mean my hair would throw off the colour?????

Any recommendations for a nice blonde caramel?? i use l'oreal but am open to use anything else and of course do the homework of that range first

THIS IS MY MAIN PROBLEM ATM.....
Ok how do i tackle the all over colour....colour strip the ends....get that dark out? but then i think how do i knock out thaneutraliset slight green on the mid-lengths?? do i just colour strip that too up to the okay root colour then pre-pigment the mid-lengths and ends and go back over with the base level and the correct tones for a caramel brown?? or do i try to the green buy knocking it out with a red tone in my desired level- so a level 7/8 i was thinking a 7.63 - the 6 to get the red to neutralise the green and the gold to add to caramel i want?? will this work???
i believe i need to colour strip the ends regardless as the are too dark- they look a level 5/4 - the mid-lengths look a level 6/7.
any suggestions on any part of this LONG story are much appreciated.i really dont trust and salon workers im not going in there, please help me!!!
Thanks guys xxx

Your hair as been through alot of trauma before you put any chemicals onto it i would do strand tests to make sure that the condition allows :)

My word. I don't think I could possibly comment without actually seeing your hair. Also sounds like your hair has been way too over processed. Maybe you should just have a pre-pig and colour back, then grow it all out and start afresh.

There will be more reply's soon. I shall keep my eye on this post.

From the sounds of things I would give your poor hair a rest.
When I myself or a colleague wants something done, the first thing I ask myself is would I do this to a paying customer. If the answer is NO then I go back and think what I would do to a paying customer nad work my way from there.
Now I know we can stretch the goal posts a little for ourselves, but realistically from what you have written I wouldn't do anything but pre pig then colour to an acceptable colour for YOU.
I'd say the colour at the ends should fade up to a 6/7 with use of a quality brand clarifying shampoo. Could you wear your hair in a donut maybe till the clarifying shampoo does it job????

oh my word! that is way too much on your poor hair! I agree with the clarifying shampoo! but if you do anything use a Demi perm color on your hair! that way you don't have to worry about your porous ends. matrix color sync would be a good option!

Thanks so much for the replies already- really do appreciate all your input!
Im going in hard with the treatments- i just cannot believe the difficulty in finding a DECENT hair dresser round here- i know it probably sounds totally over the top when there are a lot worse things happening to people in the world right now, but as a female and as a hairdresser my hair is so important to me. Im just wearing it up really high and messy-you cant notice the uneven colour that way.
Going to also get going with the clarifying shampoo- the rep in Salon Services actually said Head and Shoulders would get the unwanted colour off quicker and its cheaper- so going to try that.
Thanks again,
Love and Happiness to you all
x

Hii, as other stylists have said your hair sound very over processed! I've been hairdressing for 20yrs & just by reading what you have said about your hair I think it sounds like it just needs a total break from any chemical process I know its hard to do when you don't like your hair colour but just think about what's going to be best for your hair in the long run! X

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Profusion, where abouts on Gloucestershire are you? Im based in Gloucestershire and could have a look if you wanted.
Please dont be put off salons, there are many good ones, despite the dodgy ones giving people a bad name!
If you want me to have a look, pm me your details and ill see what i can do
xxxxx

Latest posts

Back