Aesthetic Beauty | GMC To Ban Remote Prescribing Of Botox

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
The rules on Botox are about to get tougher. Following a BBC investigation, the GMC are banning doctors from remotely prescribing injectable cosmetic medicines such as Botox, over the phone or internet, saying that they must see patients face to face. This move could affect salons and therapists who rely on a doctor to prescribe the drug remotely.

"We believe doctors should assess any patient in person before issuing a prescription of this kind," Niall Dickson, Chief Executive of GMC said to the BBC.

The BBC investigated the chain Harley Aesthetics, one of the UK's largest purchases of Botox. The company employs nurses who are legally allowed to inject the Botox if it has been prescribed following a phonecall between the doctor and the patient. After the BBC undercover investigation, concerns arose following evidence that nurses would inject without prescription if they were unable to reach the doctor as long as they left the phone number for the doctor to call the patient after treatment.

In a statement, Dr. Harrison said that the use of prescription in one person's name for the treatment of others was "common and almost universal practice throughout the aesthetics industry" and had "no consequence for patient safety."

To the BBC however, senior doctors have said that the practice amounts to a potential safety risk and would mean the nurse is breaking the law by injecting Botox without a prescription.

Let us know if this would affect you or your business.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• botox.jpg
    botox.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 387
Can anyone offer any advice and even better, facts on where nurse prescribers stand professionally if they prescribe Botox for a BT to administer?

Many thanks

Hi Ashalina,

Can you tell me where I can find the evidence that it is 'illegal' please?

The NMC never answer questions directly and I am waiting for someone from MRHA to get back to me.

However, having read their document they state that Botox can be

a. Self-administered
b. Administered by an appropriate practitioner
c. Administered by ANYONE acting in accordance with the Directions of an appropriate practitioner.

So interpreting this I fail to see how it can be illegal. I realise it could lead to professional issues and you don't think it's appropriate but I don't think it is illegal.

Hi Ashalina,

Can you tell me where I can find the evidence that it is 'illegal' please?

The NMC never answer questions directly and I am waiting for someone from MRHA to get back to me.

However, having read their document they state that Botox can be

a. Self-administered
b. Administered by an appropriate practitioner
c. Administered by ANYONE acting in accordance with the Directions of an appropriate practitioner.

So interpreting this I fail to see how it can be illegal. I realise it could lead to professional issues and you don't think it's appropriate but I don't think it is illegal.

not illegal, as she would like but as you know there are professional issues as per message, BUT these issues exist as per who is injecting. I think those who take a moral high stance should back down and realise that there are good and bad in the industry regardless of their qualifications BUT despite this NO ONE qualification should state that they are the best to inject botx etc as that would be a sweeping statement. I have giggled at some doctors responses on here as I have some BT responses.

The end story is the industry has changed and you cannot practice as you have done in the past end of. There is probably not the opportunity to make millions from consultations as in the past. Remembering that the botox consultation GOD has been suspended by the GMC for prescribing for others.

The mhra have all the relevant information on their website.

Thanks for that smooth however it was not my opinion as you may have interpreted it but the relevant section extracted from the mhra website.

The mhra have all the relevant information on their website.

I know, I have pasted it for you in the past

Thanks for that smooth however it was not my opinion as you may have interpreted it but the relevant section extracted from the mhra website.

Again, see my previous posts on this, you appear to have just posted the same reply in all threads, so I will correct you again. An independent nurse prescriber CAN prescribe and administer botox WITHOUT the need to be supervised or associated with a doctor. So if AMO wants to prescribe botox for others she can do.

Latest posts

Back