Allergy to gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnetaShariff

Reaction score
Hello everyone! My first time here and looking for some advise and help 🙏🏼 I have had my nails done for about 7-8 years now. The last 3 years I have been doing my own nails and never used gloves or any protection and probably got exposed to uncurled products over time.. Last year I developed allergy (just itching around the cuticles) which I ignored because it wasn’t as bad , I put creams and kept doing my nails. my allergy got worse in the last few months I removed everything from my nails and the cracking, bleeding skin finally healed after about 7-8 weeks 🙏🏼 In the meantime since I qualified I have been working on clients I protected my hands with gloves, gloves in the bottle cream, got dust extractor, etc so it seems to have worked. After a long research I found ikon.iq and purchased their products in hope that I can use on myself after my fingers are completely healed. Just when they healed my thumb got a new crack again and I don’t know what to do?! I think I might have touched a bottle of product without gloves on when putting my stuff away and maybe that’s why.
On clients I use different brands (non hypoallergenic) hence I really protect my hands to make sure I don’t develop the cracking skin on my fingertips. Has anyone had the same issue?
I still haven’t used ikon.iq products as they still haven’t arrived (almost 2 weeks) but looks like I might have to wait again until my new crack is healed until I use them.
I don’t want to change my whole collection of polishes, builder gels etc for hypoallergenic as it will cost me a fortune so I am hoping I can still use my current products on clients without having my allergy to come back? Will it even ever go away?
I am hopeful but scared it will take another 7 weeks for my thumb to heal again before I try ikon.iq stuff..
help !! 🙏🏼

I'm sure ikon iq is one of the brands that has caused other issues in the past so might be best to steer clear of that brand. See the group Nail Tech Awareness on FB.
Have you done an allergy test? Once you know what exact ingredient(s) you are allergic to, then you can start to look at brands/products that don't contain those ingredients, otherwise you're just going to keep flaring up and shooting yourself in the foot x

I'm sure ikon iq is one of the brands that has caused other issues in the past so might be best to steer clear of that brand. See the group Nail Tech Awareness on FB.
Have you done an allergy test? Once you know what exact ingredient(s) you are allergic to, then you can start to look at brands/products that don't contain those ingredients, otherwise you're just going to keep flaring up and shooting yourself in the foot x

Actually Ikon.iq is one of the best brands available and @BobSweden is the owner of the company and massively active on here regarding the issues of allergy and over exposure, regularly share his knowledge and experience and is very supportive of his customers who may be experiencing issues.

I think you may be confusing Ikon.IQ with another brand. Ikon.IQ is hypoallergenic, and the company goes out of its way to ensure that techs have what they need (education, training, associated products, matching lamp) to avoid allergic and over exposure issues. I have not seen the brand mentioned among those that are having allergic reactions.

Ikon.IQ are being lumped in with TGB and PG. I can't see why, but the owner of the Nail Tech Awareness group doesn't allow recommendations for Ikon.IQ and states that they threatened legal action against her. I haven't seen anyone else posting anything negative about this brand, so I wouldn't assume there's any issues with their products

It’s obvious that product allergy did not ‘go away’ from your post.

It’s here for the duration. I was overexposed in 2007 and painfully suffered for 4 years before my hands finally healed. There are loads of similar experiences unfortunately.

I sold all gel products and only did CND acrylic and regular varnish. Several years after, I started to use CND shellac without bother. It is still the only gel polish I use (although now considering IKON.IQ).

Ship to US?

The problem is that I have been trying to get an allergy test and NO one in central CA offers these tests. Allergists say it’s not cost efficient to have them on hand since no one gets these tests. Very frustrating!!

A dermatologist should be able to do a test.

Hello everyone! My first time here and looking for some advise and help 🙏🏼 I have had my nails done for about 7-8 years now. The last 3 years I have been doing my own nails and never used gloves or any protection and probably got exposed to uncurled products over time.. Last year I developed allergy (just itching around the cuticles) which I ignored because it wasn’t as bad , I put creams and kept doing my nails. my allergy got worse in the last few months I removed everything from my nails and the cracking, bleeding skin finally healed after about 7-8 weeks 🙏🏼 In the meantime since I qualified I have been working on clients I protected my hands with gloves, gloves in the bottle cream, got dust extractor, etc so it seems to have worked. After a long research I found ikon.iq and purchased their products in hope that I can use on myself after my fingers are completely healed. Just when they healed my thumb got a new crack again and I don’t know what to do?! I think I might have touched a bottle of product without gloves on when putting my stuff away and maybe that’s why.
On clients I use different brands (non hypoallergenic) hence I really protect my hands to make sure I don’t develop the cracking skin on my fingertips. Has anyone had the same issue?
I still haven’t used ikon.iq products as they still haven’t arrived (almost 2 weeks) but looks like I might have to wait again until my new crack is healed until I use them.
I don’t want to change my whole collection of polishes, builder gels etc for hypoallergenic as it will cost me a fortune so I am hoping I can still use my current products on clients without having my allergy to come back? Will it even ever go away?
I am hopeful but scared it will take another 7 weeks for my thumb to heal again before I try ikon.iq stuff..
help !! 🙏🏼
I'm sorry you're dealing with this! I have been dealing with this for about 6 years. About 20 years ago I had the same thing happened on the top of my hand because my left hand would sit in the acrylic liquid while I was holding the hand. I realized that was the problem and started wearing a glove and it stoppe then It started on my fingertips off and on. they would crack and peel then it would stop.then it was constant. I've been wearing gloves. I had to do 20 days of prednisone they were so bad , which cleared it up. The minute I stopped taking the prednizone it has started again. I use a stereroid cream with a barrier cream on top of that, a cotton finger cot with a Nitrile finger cot over it and they have still done it. I have An appointment with a new dermatologist Monday. I will keep you posted

I live in Fresno, CA and I’ve tried to get an allergy test, but no allergists carry this test. They say it’s too costly and it expires before it’s used. I’m not a manicurist, but had my nails done for many years, but developed the itching, swollen, cracked red cuticles. I stopped and went to press on nails for 6 months. Turns out I’m allergic to the glue too. Have ruined my nails. They used to have a nice curve and now are flat and bumpy. I wish I had never done the press on nails.

I feel your pain. I had the same issues with my hands, I had a skin test done and methacrylates are my issue. I had to make a decision to either try a hypoallergenic brand or give up. I gave light elegance a try and had great success. I also use Hayley Winder nail system, also hypoallergenic. Hayley's customer service and f/b group is the best.
As for using your original system on your clients even with protective gloves is not enough sometimes to stop a reaction. You also have to look at the gloves you are wearing and the thickness and how long they protect for against nail products.
I had the change everything over to hypoallergenic and feel better for it as it opens up new possibilities for clients who can't wear other brands. Good luck and I hope your hands recover quickly.

Latest posts

Back