Am I too old to train as a hairdresser at 50

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vella

Reaction score
Hello, I wondered if I could ask for some advice from the professionals out there? Is 50 too late to train as a hairdresser? It's something I've always wanted to do but couldn't afford it as the training is too expensive and I'm a graduate so wouldn't get funding.
As a mature person I appreciate a more mature person doing my hair, that's not to say that the young girls who've done my hair haven't done a great job & they've been very sweet but I think a mature hairdresser just seems to have a better rapport with clients in general.

Would very much like to hear your comments, thanks

I trained as a beauty therapist at 47.

Regarding hair - I'd comment that my colour vision is just starting to deteriorate, I need more light to see properly, which is fine as a beauty therapist because we have individual work lights for each client, but it might be something that is an issue in a shared salon space where you are doing very precise colour work. I spend a lot on expensive glasses, kept for work.

You also need to think about how your body is going to hold up to standing all day with your arms raised. A lot of hairdressers have problems with the physicality of the work, it's harder to bring your fitness up to a new standard when you are more mature. Having said that I was starting to be a bit of a decrepit crone when I trained and I find that working as a beauty therapist has improved all my aches and pains. I really had lots of problems when I worked at a desk using a phone and computer and I'm now pain free for the first time in over 20 years.

What I really love is interacting with different people from all walks of life and that keeps me very young at heart. Clients are astonished when I refer to my grandchildren and adult children. I would also agree that mature entrants to the industry have a head start in understanding the client perspective and I've never had a client concerned that I'm too old, only positive comments that I know what I'm doing...

Did you ever waitress as a job? And found yourself getting involved in kitchen tasks - filling the dishwasher, plating up deserts and found that the more you did, the more you would be given to do? Hair and beauty is like that. If you work front of house there are lots of opportunities to pick up some practical tips just by being helpful. I've trained quite a few receptionists in nails and make-up.

If not working and paying for training is an issue you might want to consider looking at front of house and management roles in a salon. You never know, there might be opportunities to train in house, or work part-time around a college course. Most salons are desperate for sensible staff with a good work ethic and will be delighted to add skills value. On the other side, working outside the industry whilst you self-fund college will be a problem because you probably won't learn enough from college alon, you've got to be embedded in the industry.

And finslly, are you sure you can't get a student tuition loan? I didn't bother because I earn enough to make the interest rate painful, but I've had the impression that retraining in another field qualifies even if the qualification is lower than the one you already have. You'll certainly be eligible for an apprenticeship scheme, I know a graduate who finished her level 2 last year...

Last edited:
Hi Duchess,

Thank you so much for your advice and all power to you retraining at 47, that's great. I hear what you're saying about the physical nature of the job, I have heard that before from older hairdressers that have cut my hair. Like you said, I get plenty of aches and pains from sitting at a desk all day. I am going to give it some serious thought, thanks again, it's really encouraging to hear from someone my age who has managed to do something they enjoy, there is hope.

Latest posts

Back