Answering machine query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluemire

Reaction score
We are a small salon with self employed stylists and it has been suggested to get an answer machine. Do any of you have one and is it worthwhile??

An answering machine just says “no-one is available”. It’s worth it to leave a message directing people to your website for online booking. My message includes my email address and explains that they’ll get an auto response with a booking link.

But most people are using their phones because typing doesn’t work for them - they might be driving for instance.

If it’s been suggested that you get an answering machine - is this coming from clients irritated by their service being interrupted so stylists can answer the phone or from clients trying to book who find the phone just rings and rings and they’d prefer to get a call back?

I’m just about to set up a virtual receptionist service after carefully comparing new client online bookings with the conversion of telephone enquiries. If I have a quiet day and pick up the phone, I’ll often get several new client bookings for high value services, the online bookings that I get from new clients are the basic services. So I’m going to divert my phones to a company that will answer calls, book clients in and take deposits. They will access my CRM software (customer relationship management) and will be able to see client history so that they can book the same service as last time, Just like a real receptionist in other words.

I looked at a number of other companies who offer a slightly less comprehensive service - directing callers to the website or taking their details to pass over for a call back. These didn’t really seem right for me.

I have budgeted £200-£300 a month for this service, I’m taking a package of £70 plus VAT for 40 short calls a month with additional calls on a pay as you go basis. I’m not fully booked atm so I have the capacity to take extra bookings. This means that this service will not be pure overhead, it should hopefully pay for itself. If I just get 2 new clients a month that return 3-5 times over the next year and retain my existing client base it will work well. If I don’t, I can always cancel the service and save my money.

I’m using this company - I can’t recommend them (yet) as I have t started their service. https://www.thevateam.london/

yes, I've always had an answerphone on my landline. It's just a basic one and I can easily record the outgoing message and change it whenever I need to.
It also saves me answering the phone when it turns out to be a sales call.
Any messages I need to reply to, can just be done when I'm not with a client.
I never answer the phone when I am with a client and it is in a room away from the treatment room so although I register that it has rung, I don't think the clients are aware. Maintains a relaxed atmosphere for them in the treatment room.

Morning!
Im a great believer in answer phones.

You don't interrupt your service, your caller knows who've they've rung and what their next step is.

As you have Self employed stylists: do they book their own appointments or is there a central book?
Do you have on-line booking system for them all? If not, it may be sensible to get one.
I seem to recall one that's designed for self employed teams called Blu or Bleu; they were at Salon International.

If they all book their own spots then your message probably needs to list their names and that they have their own booking system.
Are their numbers on your website?

Is there a rota for listening to messages and responding? How are clients allocated if they're not requests?

It can be as complicated are as simple as you can manage but anything that allows clients to contact you is great!

yes, I've always had an answerphone on my landline. It's just a basic one and I can easily record the outgoing message and change it whenever I need to.
It also saves me answering the phone when it turns out to be a sales call.
Any messages I need to reply to, can just be done when I'm not with a client.
I never answer the phone when I am with a client and it is in a room away from the treatment room so although I register that it has rung, I don't think the clients are aware. Maintains a relaxed atmosphere for them in the treatment room.
being able to easily change your outgoing message is convenient

Latest posts

Back