Any ideas what this is?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinkpink2008

Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1390159660.481268.jpg just been cutting my 4 year old boys nails and one of them has gone like this. I'm not sure if from trauma to the nail, know we can't diagnose but just wondered if anyone had any suggestions on what it could be? I am a nail tech by the way and my son has heart problems but not been I'll recently if that's relevant
Tia

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1390159763.199086.jpg sorry bigger pic

Have a look on NHS website under pitting of nails, it's pretty good advice with clear pics for comparison. I'm really short sighted, so couldn't see the nail too well. Sorry I couldn't make a better suggestion. Hope it gets sorted soon :)

My daughter has this on two of her finger nails and two of her toe nails.
She is dairy allergic and is calcium deficient.
I've read that the pitting in the nails could be a sign of her calcium deficiency or low iron levels.
We find out next week the results of blood tests for iron and other bits and I aim to check with her consultant about her nails too.
She is also losing hair (shes only 5) and I read that they can be linked with pitting nails.

Also my son was born with and still has spoon shaped nails on his toes, I was told nails can be a sign of health errors but told not to worry about it, when he was 5mo old we found by sheer fluke that he had a serious very rare liver disease, he's 21 now.

Of course all kids are different, I would guess that the pitting may be a sign that your son has what you already know, his health issues.
I'm not very helpful am I? Lol
I'll let you know what hospital says next week tho.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks both for your replies. Will look into it, I'm wondering if he's caught the nail and done it that way but might ask at next hospital appoint but that's not until June x

My daughter has the exact same thing and is 2, only on one finger, I was going to post on here as well so I'll be interested to see what others come back with xx

This problem to the nails are generally a result of trauma to the matrix (where the nails cells develop from). This is in adults but I'm not sure in little ones invade it has something to do with their development? I've got severe eczema and I have pitting in my nails due to that. Hope this helps :)

I was worried that that might be the case. It isn't bothering her or causing her any obvious pain... I'm just hoping and praying it isn't damaged forever!! Xx

Just a little update, my daughters has now completely come off and there is a lovely new nail growing underneath... It's looking healthy too :) xx

Glad to hear a new ones growing nicely, my sons has grown up a bit and it seems a bit has lifted so maybe from trauma to tenge nail but seems to be growing out x

xx:biggrin: Ah glad all is looking good and healthy

I've noticed 3 more going the same on her other hand! none on the toes though! Doctor thinks it might be the result of a virus up to 6 months ago... At least the new ones are growing through xx

Latest posts

Back