Any nutritionists out there?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazmine

Reaction score
Hi as suggest am looking for some nutritional advice.

So my OH is wanting to gain weight. His job is physical, he is a tree surgeon and as he is 30 next year he thinks now is the time to gain some weight (and muscle).

I do most of the cooking, he struggles to eat breakfast so I have in the past made oat bars. What should I be feeding him-anything beyond the obvious?

Outside of work, we have dogs that are walked daily, he uses weights at home and cycles when he has the time. We also have started using a yoga DVD.

Any help would be great, he wants a slow weight gain he is in no hurry to 'bulk up'

Chicken (or turkey).... You can buy a small George foreman grill and do it on that. Lots of chicken and pasta... Can u do him pasta and chicken for his lunch?Do three seperate small portions of food...In small containers to take to work He should eat every 2/3 hours to bulk up. Do lots of weight training and drink protein shakes (can buy these in big tubs, you get more for your money) I know you mentioned he's not a breakfast person but porridge is the way to go... With honey. Dinner could be steak 2 nights a week (know its pricey) with jacket potato and salad. Hope any of these suggestions might be of use. Sweet potato is also good. If I think of anything else will post and hope other geeks might have some info cause I find it interesting :)... Snack on almonds, bananas at work.... Yoghurts in evening. Good luck :D

Safest way is he needs to figure out roughly how many calories he consumes a day, and how many calories his body burns a day (there are plenty of calories burned calculators on the internet). There's 3,500 calories in a pound. If he's looking to gain a pound of week, he'd need to up his daily calorie intake by 500 more than what he burns/day. As said above, 5 small meals is better than 3 big ones and random snacking. Protein and healthy carbs are his friends. Brown rice, brown bread, sweet potatoes, eggs, nuts, chicken/turkey breasts and balance out with hearty greens like broccoli, kale, asparagus- you get the idea. (I have competitive body building friends that will eat only the foods listed during competition season). Protein shakes and bars are great, especially if he's going to be working out. Bars are great for non-breakfast eaters. My Fitness Pal is a great app to use to keep track of food and exercise.

When he works out, majority of his exercise should be weight lifting and resistance workout. So if he's got an hour to work out, 10-15 minutes is cardio like walking or jogging to get muscles warmed up, and the rest is lifting weights to bulk up. He should be doing heavy weights/less reps per set as oppose to less weights/more reps per set. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks guys, I am glad that I am thinking along the right lines with regards to food. He's snacking on the right stuff and I have made breakfast bars with oats, dries fruit, nuts and honey as a breakfast replacement, I will get him on the porridge at the weekends :)

We pretty healthy eaters so I just need to up his consumption. Thanks for exercise tips too x

Latest posts

Back