Any salons taking on 36 year old "juniors"?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liddrose

Reaction score
I have just been accepted on to NQ Hairdressing level 5 (Scotland) starting in August. I need a part time job asap and when I was looking at all the jobs online, they are all Modern Apprenticeships for those age 16-24. I would rather get a part time job in the industry than anything else. I am in the Glasgow area, am I right in thinking because of my age salons would not be interested in employing me? Thanks Rosie

The problem will be the wage they will have pay you ref minimum wage. But best of luck x

Why have you put 36 your age should never come in to this. It's purely about maturity and experience. I got to be honest I have 3 salons 2 in London and 1 Surrey and we no longer take apprenticeships too much red tape So my lovely feel confident and beautiful and blag it. Xx

Why have you put 36 your age should never come in to this. It's purely about maturity and experience. I got to be honest I have 3 salons 2 in London and 1 Surrey and we no longer take apprenticeships too much red tape So my lovely feel confident and beautiful and blag it. Xx
I love your response , made me smile! The only reason I mention my age is because I have no experience and my age would mean a salon would need to pay me the living wage. xx

I agree! Please don't label yourself a 36 year old junior! Age does not matter one bit, I'd love a mature junior it would make my life so much easier!
What skills can you currently offer with the qualification you already have?
In approaching any salons I think those skills are what you need to label yourself as rather than an age, if people are going to have to pay living wage their going to want something more than sweeping the floor in return, market yourself heavily on the skills you currently have, be it colouring, perming, blow drying, you'll get a much better response :)

Agree with others.

If a salon has to pay NMW, they need you to be reasonably productive rather than just shampooing, cleaning and watching others.

Besides hairdressing (flair for styling/hair ups?), what other skills can you offer?

Do you have any reception experience, IT or marketing skills, for instance?

Thank you so much for the advice, I really do appreciate it . [emoji3]

As said forget about age for now. Relevant skills and experience is key! If you are able to do more than shampoo and sweep floors etc then you will be bringing in money for them. Makes it easier to pay wages!

Latest posts

Back