Anyone offering free WiFi in salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinkpants

Reaction score
Interested in offering free wifi in my salon but worried about security issues ;-)

The salon manager were I work has the standard BT internet and if a client asks for the password it's given out.

What security issues are you worried about? x

Leely x

My hubby said its a bad idea as they could do all sorts ? And what if they downloaded illegal stuff in my shop? Can you tell I am not very trusting lol thanks tho :)

It would be on their tablet / phone so the IP address would be different to yours. I think you can restrict what they can and can't do if it's your salon x

Leely x

To be honest I am not sure what 'illegal stuff' stuff they could download. I am a bit of a gadget geek and there is not much people can do.

I think to be honest it was a security hype from a few years ago to sell further Mc'afee/norton protection etc.

I'm not being funny but to download anything even worthwhile you would need to be on a computer or laptop. Have you ever tried to download or view a file on an iPhone or iPad? It's a pain at the best of times. You can't download movies direct to them either so yeah... I think your fairly safe.

Thanks for your reply ;-) I think I am over thinking. did a google search on it and ppl mentioned what if they downloaded child abuse :-( ect but never thought it will be their device they are using.now to find cheapest wifi provider?? Thinking talk talk want phone line inc too.

I offer free wifi in return for "checking in" on Facebook.

It is secured and they have to ask for the password.

Jemima :)

You need a phone line to have wifi.

I'm with talk talk .

You need a phone line to have wifi.

I'm with talk talk .

Thanks jemima, spent all night and decided to go with talk talk but they shut lol
1 st thing in the morning I will be on the phone ;-)
Yes we have a phone line, only one tho and also have pdq machine, hope that does not interfere ? Xx

I offer free wifi in return for "checking in" on Facebook.

It is secured and they have to ask for the password.

O yes going to steal that idea too lol ;-)))))))))

Thanks jemima, spent all night and decided to go with talk talk but they shut lol
1 st thing in the morning I will be on the phone ;-)
Yes we have a phone line, only one tho and also have pdq machine, hope that does not interfere ? Xx

Does your pdq machine go through your internet or your phoneline? The only reason I ask is because ours was through our phoneline and as mobile reception is so bad where we are, it got really difficult if we took payment through the phone for vouchers etc. We now run it through the internet - same machine and same cost and now we can use the phone to take payment details without the pdq machine cutting in!

It would be on their tablet / phone so the IP address would be different to yours. I think you can restrict what they can and can't do if it's your salon x

Just wanted to correct that, as it's not quite accurate. As far as logs for who's downloading what on your internet connection, it'll show the your internet IP (the one that the wi-fi router will be using), not the IP of the device.

This is a fairly old article, but I *think* (and don't quote me on this!) that the legality is still the same

Why You Offer Free WiFi in the UK at Your Own Risk - The Next Web

Not sure I you've already rang talk talk. But if your going to be using it, and so are your clients. You might want to get unlimited data. So you don't get in trouble for going over your download limit if everyone is one facebook etc. Sky do good deals on phone line and wifi.

Laura xx

Went with talk talk & they said its fine to give out password to clients ;-)
They have a WorkSafe, network-level security included in the monthly package I bought.

Latest posts

Back