Anyone rent land to put a log cabin on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparklesLeah

MsTaylor&Co
Reaction score
I am currently renting a shop and it’s expensive.

I would like to buy a log cabin and put it onto some land within a town, it’s not the area where i live though so I can’t put it in my garden.

Anyone else rent land from someone and put a cabin on?

Advice greatly appreciated x

Sorry no advice, but sometimes when I'm driving around all day and go past these beautiful farms and villages I think about doing this. Just building a pretty little cabin somewhere! I can't imagine it would be cheap at all.
I'm currently looking for a new house so I can build one from home x

Presumably, assuming you get a long-ish lease, you’d also have to apply for planning permission and pay for the installation of water (supply & sewerage) and electricity to be connected up to it?

It’s worth checking out the likely costs but it could be a lot of money to pay up front, initially.

Would working from your garden not work?

Renting land is not as straight forward as it sounds.
  • The landowner would have to apply for planning permission at a cost of several hundred pounds...
  • Some fields are designated for agricultural use only (so you can rent out a field to another farmer to put their sheep on or sell the hay from it but not run a commercial business from it)
  • The landowner could chuck you off at any time.
  • Provision of water, electric, sewage, gas, broadband, phone etc - costly to the landowner
  • Lighting & a proper path across the field would have to be put in to H&S standards - more cost to owner
  • The grass / ground around the cabin would have to be maintained by the landowner - plenty of potential here for disputes
If you want to do this then best to buy your own bit of land with planning permission on it. If the plot is in or near other commercial ventures then you will be more likely to get permission.

Another way would be to buy a small house that need doing up, get change of use planning permission on it and open it as a salon that you own outright. You might even be able to have a small flat above to rent out.

Likely to be far more expensive then renting a shop. A decent log cabin alone is a big chunk.

Latest posts

Back