Applying tint to roots first then foil over top?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLou

Reaction score
Hi geeks, quick question, I'm doing a root colour and foils later today but I need to do it on the quick side as client is going out, I always place my foils in the hair first then work my root colour around them but I just wondered about your opinions on this, I have seen many stylists apply the root colour first and then work through with the foils (bleach which is what ill be using) would you say it's ok to do it this way around? Obviously the bleach will be going on top the root tint but seeing a lot of previous stylists do this and theirs come out totally fine I just wondered if you lot do it and if its ok to do?

I've never do it this way as I like to know exactly what's happening under the foil lol but seeing as I need tips to be quicker today wondered if this would be ok?
Thanks in advance xxx

How big is her regrowth if it's just to cover grey or less than a centre meter can you not just leave the h/l and do a roots app of tint then do her foils couple of weeks time I get away with this on my sis she has her roots topped up 3 at least sometime b4 going in with her foils blends in fine That's if you foils are natural falling like not to stripy hth Hun but in answer to your question personally I wouldn't Put bleach over tint a stylist did this to me at a salon I used to work in and when I pulled the h/l straight out to look at the colour of it prop it was really patchy And like you say it's nice to know your process under there and I think your causing more damage to the hair than you need to 😊 x

I wouldn't apply tint then bleach over it will make it patchy I would either do it the way you always have and tell her how long it will take you don't want patchy results and more damage than needed

Stick to what you know.
Flooding can be fiddly, but I flood as I'm going now, saves disturbing the foils and is much quicker x

Stick to what you know.
Flooding can be fiddly, but I flood as I'm going now, saves disturbing the foils and is much quicker x

I am a flood as I go gal too

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

Stick to what you know.
Tomme, do you mean flood as soon as you put foil in and flood straight away? xx

What do up mean flood??? Lol

Stick to what you know.

good idea .. will give that a try

Flooding is colouring between foils.
Weave out bottom foil and put it in, then colour the leftover, next section weave, colour what would be out of the foil then put in the foil, again on the next.
Or you can put in one foil, colour the rest, next foil and colour the rest, next foil, colour the rest.....
X

First time i tried foiling over color, it looked patchy. You dont want to experiment with what you dont know if she is going out. It can turn into horror story.

i always apply tint first as long as its not hi lift. Saves loads of time means you dont miss any greys and blends better.

Never had any problems this way, does take less time, for quick fix/last resort, if you have any doubt of foils leaking u can always go back through with your tint after application to fix any leaks x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi, it's best to stick to the traditional way or do as tomme suggested and flood as you go along. However applying tint then foiling is just a disaster waiting to happen, it doesn't pay to rush colour application!x

I have a client who has her hair coloured every 8 weeks, her re-growth is about 2 inches long by then. I do foils and tint after but maybe i should do it the other way round? As her grey re-growth is in the foils and the bleach doesn't touch it. I have to take the colour through to the ends every time as it fades do much!

Deffinatley apply tint first. The reason its fading is because your taking it through every time which is making it worse because her her will be very pourous meaning the cuticles will be wide open only aplly the permanent tint to the roots. Permanent colour has small molecules to go into the cortex but if the cuticles are damaged they dont stay in. Thats why you should use a demi to refresh the ends the molecules are larger and stay in the hair better.

Deffinatley apply tint first. The reason its fading is because your taking it through every time which is making it worse because her her will be very pourous meaning the cuticles will be wide open only aplly the permanent tint to the roots. Permanent colour has small molecules to go into the cortex but if the cuticles are damaged they dont stay in. Thats why you should use a demi to refresh the ends the molecules are larger and stay in the hair better.

Ok thanks. Ill do the roots first, then foils and a Demi on the ends afterwards, see if that helps with the fading x

I love this site! I learn so much! Especially being a mobile hairdresser it keeps me up to date! X

I always tint then foil ontop. Have done for 10 years. Never have any problems at all. I even use a darker shade ontop of tint with a few clients. A salon owner I used to work with tinted washed blow dried then foiled and I ended up with 50% of her clients as mine gave same result but obviously about an hour and a half quicker :) xx

I foil and tint at the same time

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I love this site! I learn so much! Especially being a mobile hairdresser it keeps me up to date! X

Hey up duck. Theirs nothing wrong with doing mobile. Or freelance if your being posh. Xx

Latest posts

Back