Apprentice problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobile-hands

Reaction score
Hi, after some advice!
I have just received a call from the college today to advise that my apprentice didn't turn up, I informed them that I knew as the apprentice had texted me!
However they went on to tell me that they had tried calling to speak with me over a few other issues last week, each time my apprentice answered and advised that I was in with a client and that they would pass the message on. I didn't get one message!
They went in to tell me that my apprentice is opening discussing in the classroom and to the tutors how much they hate going to college, they advised that my apprentice attitude was do bad last week that they had to call the apprentice in front if the principle. (Today would have been their 3rd week!)
The apprentice is giving reasons (excuses) for their attitude/lack of motivation which I know not to be true!
I myself have only had a few minor niggles with my apprentice, 1-5 mins lateness and less enthusiasm in the last 2 weeks!
Was thinking of having a formal review tomorrow to discuss what's going on and make sure it's put down in writing for us to both sign!

What do you think?
What would you do?
Thanks x

Deal with this ASAP!

Get everything in writing and personally, I'd be looking at letting her go.

If they're disinterested at this stage of training, what's the chances of them successfully completing the course?

Be firm and don't take any nonsense.

I knew employing staff would have its problems but didn't expect them to happen by week 6! :(

I have booked this person on an independent day course next week which I am paying for!
Do you think I should postpone until this apprentice can show some more commitment in their own learning... I don't want to waste money on someone who doesn't care about there own future or someone that I may have to let go of soon! X

Postpone it.

Make it a reward for improving her general performance and showing proper commitment to the business.

This is the real world not an extension of school. She needs to learn that she can't simply mess around having time off, producing poor work etc. without there being consequences to her behaviour.

Maybe she just needs some boundaries? But personally, I wouldn't give her too many chances.

I would not keep this young lady in your employ. If this is only 6 weeks in what are you going to be dealing with in 6, 9 or 12 months. She must still be on probation at this point. I would end it now whilst it's easy to dismiss her. I have had countless surprises with apprentices. I now take them on on 8 weeks work experience contracts and if they pass this they are taken on as apprentices with six months probation with four weekly reviews to assess their development and training targets. Ensure you check the terms in their contracts, such as gross misconduct as I find this is where many of them fall foul. I have spent three years having nothing but tedious experiences and gave up with it entirely until, a local college was quite persistent that they had some excellent candidates - I now have two lovely young ladies working for me.

This is your livelihood protect it fiercely from those that may damage it (a touch dramatic perhaps, but I mean it most sincerely).

Latest posts

Back