Are gels easier to master than L&P?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieBeauty

Reaction score
I'm sure I've heard some people say gels are easier but I'm sure some people feel l&p easier.

Is it just a case of personal preference? Logic tells me they ought to be easier as there's no mix ratio to worry about with gels? I'm currently struggling with mix ratio with CNd - have always found it difficult.

Would appreciate geeks' thoughts xx

haha u know my views on this L & P easer to get to grips with still struggling with Brisa

Some people do say though that could be because you've spent more time on l&p than gel?

There's no definite answer. Each has its pros and cons. Some may find gel harder to build and sculpt with because of its consistency, and some may struggle with mix ratio of l&p. I think it all depends on the amount of usage a tech gets with each. If a tech offering both gets more requests for l&p than gel, the tech would think l&p is easier because they've grown use to it, and vice versa.

Also, I'm not sure if you've had a wander into the articles section of the site, but this was there and might help with the mix ratio problem :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAsc9CDie6c&feature

i think a lot of it is in your head. you might just think ' i cant use gel' and then untill you get your head around it you will have a mental block with it and vice versa.

i had it in my head that l&p was easier and gel was impossible. i can't believe it now i think gel is far easier and i tend to stay clear of l&p.

Thank you both. I'll check out that article Chickafish (I think I've seen it eons ago!) Rinn I think I've got it in my head gel will be easier!!

I'm dying to get booked onto Brisa to learn gel...but wonder if I should really master l&p before I do??

Thanks again xx

I'm dying to get booked onto Brisa to learn gel...but wonder if I should really master l&p before I do??

This is entirely up to you, but I think it's best to keep going til it's second nature before moving onto something else. But then again, I'm stubborn and hate giving up on stuff :lol:

That's what my gut instinct tells me I should do. I think part of jumping into Brisa is an attempt to avoid mastering the *bleeping* mix ratio!

:lol: you'll get it! So what exactly is wrong with your ratio? Too wet? To dry? There's a lot of CND users who could probably give you some pointers me thinks :D

It's different every flipping time!!! That's the current frustration :D I'm getting back into it and trying to practice as much as possible. I must say that the heat this week hasn't helped but I normally err on the side of too wet anyway.

I think I need to spend another day just practicing on tips - I sat and did about a hundred one day and felt like at the end of it I was getting a bit of uniformity. Then sat and did a set of l&p and it went out the window, back to bad habits.

Practice practice. There's no other way ;) I think I should leave gel alone till I get l&p sorted though.

Thanks xx

Best of luck! You will get it!

On the other hand it can be difficult to master second system, when your hands are used to working different. I have seen people struggling with gel after l&p and vice versa :)
If you have possibility to take gel course now, I would probably try. Maybe you will find it easier and more satysfying.

And to your question - no, they are just different. May seem easier, but l&p also looks easy when someone else is doing it. :)

Last edited:
I agree Kasik - sat & watched the CND Brisa vids and thought that looks great - having said that the l&p vids look ridiculously easy too!!

I learnt gel first and found it very easy.

L&P looks easy but in my opinion is more difficult to get right. You get some mighty funny shapes in the beginning lol:eek:

To get everything right with l&p, the ratio, the brush angles, the shape, the finishing . . . not to mention pink & white . . . . to get it all right takes some time imho.

But there's such satisfaction when it all falls into place!

My school taught l&p first. Honestly, I'm glad they did because it made gels a piece of cake. The only thing I found hard with gels was building an apex, and learning not to play with it too much cuz of the bubbles. :lol:

I'm sure I've heard some people say gels are easier but I'm sure some people feel l&p easier.

Is it just a case of personal preference? Logic tells me they ought to be easier as there's no mix ratio to worry about with gels? I'm currently struggling with mix ratio with CNd - have always found it difficult.

Would appreciate geeks' thoughts xx

Hi Pixie,

I think it is down to personal preference, as you say. I learnt L&P first and had to work very hard at it to perfect the technique. When I learnt gels I picked it up straight away and personally found it a lot easier. I'm not sure if that's just because I 'gel with gel' excuse the pun! :lol:

I immediately favoured gels for many reasons:

Firstly they are odourless (can't stand the smell of L&P)
Secondly, less dust (for me anyway)
Thirdly faster service (again, for me) oh and easier technique to perfect!

You will find many who have opposing views but it really is down to what works best for you.

I have tried two different gel systems and prefer both over L&P. It will be worth your while taking on a gel system as it's all about gels at the moment (in my area anyway) and it's always good to offer an array of services!

Hope this helps & good luck :)

Interesting thread...

I personally think liquid & powder requires more 'technique' and practise till it is mastered.. but it offers a lot of flexabilty, design strength and durability that is not often fully achieved with gels...

I guess that's why it's still nearly 70% of the enhancement industry globally...

Thanks for everyone's replies. I had a play around with a Brisa kit last night on myself (following the tut's on CND's website) and I have to say I find it so much easier to control as a product than CND l&p. I find other l&p's easier to work with also :/ but Brisa easier still.

I think I've decided to go for the day's conversion in Brisa so I don't mess about with it any more. Once I've done the training (ie know exactly what's involved) I'll have a better idea if I am taking to it more naturally than l&p. That makes sense to me somehow!

At the moment I think it looks like an easier product perhaps because I don't know all the things you're trying to achieve with it. I think training is what I need to do next, and I'm really intrigued and can thankfully can afford it atm. Thanks again for the input (and I may be on here tearing my hair out in another six months!)

Latest posts

Back