Are pedicures a must have?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Struckbyastar

Reaction score
I really HATE other peoples' feet! I don't even like my boyfriends feet touching mine in bed at night. I don't have any regular clients at the moment, but recently I've had enquiries for mani/pedis. I wanted to do a better manicure course, as the mani pedi course I did was.. dare I say... a cheapie offer from a group buying site [emoji15]. Does anyone else not offer pedicures and if so how do you get the point across? The enquiries have been through my Facebook page where I have all my services clearly written with photos, and obviously pedicure isn't mentioned at all.

I've done them on my sister in the past (basic, waterless) but I know her feet are clean, healthy and smell free whereas I refuse to do my mums' ex dancer-bunioned and athletes foot-feet..

Has anyone been like me and now is fine with pedicures?! This might sound dumb but should you wear gloves and or a mask for them? This would be an issue for me as they're part of my phobias and anxiety.

I'm conscious that, with summer approaching, I'm really missing out on clients!

I think there are therapists who don't offer pedicures but it means you're missing out on a lot of revenue.

In 27 years I can only think of two clients who had badly wiffy feet. Clients are very conscious themselves so usually arrive with freshly washed feet.

Think of it like this - as soon as your client takes their shoes off you spray them with an antiseptic spray. Then you put them into hot soapy water so by the time you actually touch their skin they've had a good wash.

Some therapists wear gloves for the first stage but are usually taken off once the feet come out the water. A mask should never be needed and as a client I would find this insulting.

Perhaps go on a good pedicure course to get over your worries.
Good luck [emoji6]

You can wear gloves. Would you consider callus peels?.

I think honestly if you feel that put off by feet you shouldn't feel pressured into doing them.

I am a pedicurist and many of my clients apologise for the state of their feet before I start, so there is often already a sense of embarrassment. Feet are quite a private part of the body and we are not used to other people touching them, unlike hands, so when someone comes to have their feet cared for - which is after all the definition of a pedicure ;) that client should feel that their feet are in capable hands with no judgement. If someone has feet which are ugly, in a bad state or which smell, they will already be uncomfortable and will sense you are put off by them. I have seen everything and more with feet, nothing really shocks me but if it did I would never show it.

When I started out, ironically I didn't want to do pedicures as the thought of feet and touching them really put me off, so I do understand. Now they are my main source of income and I love nothing more.

If you're really battling with it, perhaps you should consider re-training and taking time to learn how to carry them out with confidence, and you never know, you may even enjoy it in the end :) I always wear gloves and a mask, it's how I work and nobody has ever taken issue with it. You are the professional, so you decide how you want to work! Until you are happy to do them though, I would simply not do it. You will though be missing out on £££!

Good luck with your dilemma x

I really HATE other peoples' feet! I don't even like my boyfriends feet touching mine in bed at night. I don't have any regular clients at the moment, but recently I've had enquiries for mani/pedis. I wanted to do a better manicure course, as the mani pedi course I did was.. dare I say... a cheapie offer from a group buying site [emoji15]. Does anyone else not offer pedicures and if so how do you get the point across? The enquiries have been through my Facebook page where I have all my services clearly written with photos, and obviously pedicure isn't mentioned at all.

I've done them on my sister in the past (basic, waterless) but I know her feet are clean, healthy and smell free whereas I refuse to do my mums' ex dancer-bunioned and athletes foot-feet..

Has anyone been like me and now is fine with pedicures?! This might sound dumb but should you wear gloves and or a mask for them? This would be an issue for me as they're part of my phobias and anxiety.

I'm conscious that, with summer approaching, I'm really missing out on clients!
Have you considered developing your skill set and becoming a master pedicurist?

Latest posts

Back