Armpit waxing problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisydoodrops

Reaction score
Hello

I did an armpit wax on my sister in law yesterday afternoon. She said she hadn't shaved for a week and this was her first armpit wax. I use strip wax (as taught in college - I have only just qualified. BUT have done plenty of arm pit waxing practice before hand with great results.)

Anyway.. The hairs were very stubborn and only half- 3/4 of them would come out of each arm pit. So I decided to tweezer the rest of the hairs out. I covered them in after wax lotion and oil. And she stayed for atleast 2 hours after while her and her mum had Shellac pedicures done.

She said the armpits were abit sore but not too sore, they werent red. And she was happy when she left. I gave her all the aftercare advice. Such as avoid heat like hot baths/ showers, don't wear tight clothing etc.

She's just rang me up saying they are really sore and bright red. So I told her to apply some oil and bepanthan. To try and calm the redness down. She said they were sore last night but have got worse today. She works in a bakery, wearing bakery overall/tunics. She's been at work from 8-4 wearing this tunic and I think thats the cause of the soreness and redness as it would rub against the newly waxed armpits? What do you all think?

Also what could be the reason for the hairs not all coming out in the first place? Could they have been too short? Should I have tweezered the rest of the hairs?

I had done a full leg and bikini wax 15minutes before her just fine. So it shouldn't be anything to do with my wax temperature.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My confidence has been knocked abit as this is one of my first "complaints", if you can call it that.

Thank you and sorry for the long post.

First of all I dont think realistically 1 week is long enough so they may have been too short which is why you might not have got them all out. It's recommended that you leave them 3-4 weeks after shaving to wax.

You can tweeze but it's not preferred but it does depend how many you actually tweezed out. I'd say more than about 10-15 is far too many but I wouldn't worry if she was pleased with results.

Also if they were quite stubborn you probably would have been better using hot wax not strip wax as hot wax is better for coarser hairs.

If she got really sweaty all day this could have caused a bit of discomfort but hopefully the redness should go down by tomorrow. If not, advise to see the gp. Underarms are very sensitive areas.

Lastly, don't panic! I'm sure you did great and can only get better from here :) x

Hello

I did an armpit wax on my sister in law yesterday afternoon. She said she hadn't shaved for a week and this was her first armpit wax. I use strip wax (as taught in college - I have only just qualified. BUT have done plenty of arm pit waxing practice before hand with great results.)

Anyway.. The hairs were very stubborn and only half- 3/4 of them would come out of each arm pit. So I decided to tweezer the rest of the hairs out. I covered them in after wax lotion and oil. And she stayed for atleast 2 hours after while her and her mum had Shellac pedicures done.

She said the armpits were abit sore but not too sore, they werent red. And she was happy when she left. I gave her all the aftercare advice. Such as avoid heat like hot baths/ showers, don't wear tight clothing etc.

She's just rang me up saying they are really sore and bright red. So I told her to apply some oil and bepanthan. To try and calm the redness down. She said they were sore last night but have got worse today. She works in a bakery, wearing bakery overall/tunics. She's been at work from 8-4 wearing this tunic and I think thats the cause of the soreness and redness as it would rub against the newly waxed armpits? What do you all think?

Also what could be the reason for the hairs not all coming out in the first place? Could they have been too short? Should I have tweezered the rest of the hairs?

I had done a full leg and bikini wax 15minutes before her just fine. So it shouldn't be anything to do with my wax temperature.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My confidence has been knocked abit as this is one of my first "complaints", if you can call it that.

Thank you and sorry for the long post.

Hey hun, please don't let it knock your confidence!
You never know if the client is exaggerating (as often they do) but are u able to go and have a look?

I would say 1 weeks growth is probably not enough so that might be the reason for it not all coming out or possibly temperature of the wax but you said that was fine with your previous client.

If it's red and sore she may well have ignored your advice and put deodorant on and tight clothing that's rubbing.

Anyway I would say go and see her, that way you should be able to work out what's happened.
Rhiannon x

Thank you for the advice.

At college we was only taught strip wax so I may have to think about doing an extra course in hot waxing. And also at college we was told 1 weeks growth was long enough for waxing. So I'll have to rethink that and do a bit more research.

She's happy with the results just feeling a bit sore and red today, when they wasn't even red after she left yesterday so it must be down to the uniform or it being quite hot today.

I'll text her in the morning see how they're feeling and advise GP advice if still sore.

Thank you very much for the advice I really appreciate it. I just feel less confident today. I suppose we all have those days where we doubt ourselves!

Don't worry hunie :) it could even be that she's overreacting and they're not as red as she says so if u can go see her that'd be best as previously said x

It sounds like a burn.

If the wax is not pulled back on itself but has rather been pulled back and up this will often result in a burn or a bruise or both.

Also the strip needs to be pulled off very fast as too slow may also result in the above.

It will be sore for 2 or 3 days, apply aquaeous cream or aloe vera if she has some.

Jacqui xx

It sounds like a burn.

If the wax is not pulled back on itself but has rather been pulled back and up this will often result in a burn or a bruise or both.

Also the strip needs to be pulled off very fast as too slow may also result in the above.

It will be sore for 2 or 3 days, apply aquaeous cream or aloe vera if she has some.

Jacqui xx

I totally agree with this! Especially on areas like underarms it's essential that the skin is pulled tight and the strip straight back not up. I'd advise something like sudocrem to take the heat out of it hth xx

I also agree with the above. And if you have applied the warm wax over a certain area more than once it could possibly cause burning whereas if you use hot wax on an area twice it wouldn't (oils appilied may protect skin more) Hot wax should be used on the more stubborn/courser hairs eg bikini underarm an the strip wax is best for legs.
They would have been too short to try and remove with the strip wax, i always tell the client they may be too short and if there are any strays i can tweeze them out if they wish. They mostly just agree as they know themselfs that it is their own fault the hairs are shorter.
Hope this makes sense to you xx
p.s if there is any scars from the burns lavender oil helps the healing process x

Thanks for the advice.

I've since been to see her and it's just a bit sore. Definitely not a burn. And there's no bruising.

She didn't follow my aftercare advice and went out that night having a shower with shower gel and deodorant. It was abit sore but this probably didn't help.

Thanks for replying :) and I'll take note of the length of time she should leave them for next time. Thanks

Xx

Thanks for the advice.

I've since been to see her and it's just a bit sore. Definitely not a burn. And there's no bruising.

She didn't follow my aftercare advice and went out that night having a shower with shower gel and deodorant. It was abit sore but this probably didn't help.

Thanks for replying :) and I'll take note of the length of time she should leave them for next time. Thanks

Xx

Glad it's all sorted hun. Armpits will always be more sensitive than legs etc. Let's hope that next time she will follow your aftercare advice as I'm sure she now realises that it's there for her comfort and safety :)
Rhiannon x

Latest posts

Back