At home IPL devices

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zojfanandez

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer me some advice RE IPL home devices. I am a fair skinned, blonde girl with REALLY dark underarms. I've always had lots of dark coarse hair which just won't budge. Hair removal cream literally scraps off without a hair budging. I shave and wax occasionally but hate waiting in between waxes because I have man like underarms. When I shave i am left with dark pigments and it doesn't look very nice (or feminine). This has affected my confidence since I was in my teens (I am now 23). Anyway... I purchased a groupon offer for ipl (6 sessions) which I finished 2 months or so ago. To begin with the treatment had a noticeable difference, the hair went very blonde and patchy but then it stopped working. I told the lady that the hairs were coming back dark again and she said this was good because it works on dark hair better. The regrowth was slower than normal so I just went with it. Anyway I had my last session and now it's reverted back to normal. The hair is dark, thick and growing back the day after I shave it. I'm really upset because I feel I have reverted back to square one.

I am thinking of investing in an at home system because I can use it whenever I need to and don't have to worry about expensive salon treatments not working after 6 sessions. But I have very little knowledge of these machines and whether they work.

If anyone has any advice they can offer me I would appreciate it. Thanks!!

Z

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to offer me some advice RE IPL home devices. I am a fair skinned, blonde girl with REALLY dark underarms. I've always had lots of dark coarse hair which just won't budge. Hair removal cream literally scraps off without a hair budging. I shave and wax occasionally but hate waiting in between waxes because I have man like underarms. When I shave i am left with dark pigments and it doesn't look very nice (or feminine). This has affected my confidence since I was in my teens (I am now 23). Anyway... I purchased a groupon offer for ipl (6 sessions) which I finished 2 months or so ago. To begin with the treatment had a noticeable difference, the hair went very blonde and patchy but then it stopped working. I told the lady that the hairs were coming back dark again and she said this was good because it works on dark hair better. The regrowth was slower than normal so I just went with it. Anyway I had my last session and now it's reverted back to normal. The hair is dark, thick and growing back the day after I shave it. I'm really upset because I feel I have reverted back to square one.

I am thinking of investing in an at home system because I can use it whenever I need to and don't have to worry about expensive salon treatments not working after 6 sessions. But I have very little knowledge of these machines and whether they work.

If anyone has any advice they can offer me I would appreciate it. Thanks!!

Z

I highly doubt you'd be able to get a professional IPL machine at home without a qualification (which is apparently quite difficult and time consuming) and as far as I know they can also cost a fortune but apparently the Phillips lumea precision plus is pretty good and once you buy it you can use it wherever on your body and as often as you want (I think every 2 weeks is recommended). It's relatively pricey but I'm sure it will be worth it if it's successful. Hope that helps!

My daughter has a home machine. I will find out how effective it is and let you know.

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've got the Phillips Lumea & it's worked for me. Can go months without shaving underarms- you do still need to use it reasonably regularly, even when there is no regrowth. Maybe every few weeks-monthly. It is quick on small areas but wouldn't want to use it on legs as it'd take ages.

This is pretty much what my daughter has said!

Vicki x

Thank you very much for the advice. I purchased the "Silk n glide" at home machine for a relatively reasonable £150 and I've jus used it. Have to say I'm very impressed with how easy it is but whether it'll work or not is another matter. It recommends using it every 2 weeks for the first 4 sessions and then every 4 weeks and after that only use it after hair regrows. They reckon permanent removal should be within 18-24 months. Fingers crossed!!

Thank you very much for the advice. I purchased the "Silk n glide" at home machine for a relatively reasonable £150 and I've jus used it. Have to say I'm very impressed with how easy it is but whether it'll work or not is another matter. It recommends using it every 2 weeks for the first 4 sessions and then every 4 weeks and after that only use it after hair regrows. They reckon permanent removal should be within 18-24 months. Fingers crossed!!

Keep me updated with how it goes! I feel an addition to the Christmas list coming along.....!

Latest posts

Back