Blonde colour as toner help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crow88

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have begun 'toning' my own hair with blonde colour. I do this to keep the colour bright and to slightly lift the colour of my dark hair in between bleach appointments, meaning I don't have to bleach as often, causes less damage.
Pre-Christmas I used wella 10.16 with 1.9% 6vol, 40g of each, can't remember if I did it on wet or dry hair, but I remember thinking nailed it.
This last time I added in another colour, as I remember my previous hairdresser saying she used to add in some copper. So I rolled with 35g 10.16, 10g 10.36 and 45g of the same developer. However it had made me very ashy hence making me feel darker not brighter.
I've attached a picture of my hair previously, can anyone recommend how I get back to this before my bleach appointment, if at all possible.

Attachments

• IMG-20221019-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20221019-WA0006.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240129_160747.jpg
    20240129_160747.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240129_160743.jpg
    20240129_160743.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Hi all,
I have begun 'toning' my own hair with blonde colour. I do this to keep the colour bright and to slightly lift the colour of my dark hair in between bleach appointments, meaning I don't have to bleach as often, causes less damage.
Pre-Christmas I used wella 10.16 with 1.9% 6vol, 40g of each, can't remember if I did it on wet or dry hair, but I remember thinking nailed it.
This last time I added in another colour, as I remember my previous hairdresser saying she used to add in some copper. So I rolled with 35g 10.16, 10g 10.36 and 45g of the same developer. However it had made me very ashy hence making me feel darker not brighter.
I've attached a picture of my hair previously, can anyone recommend how I get back to this before my bleach appointment, if at all possible.
Hi....you can do a "soap cap/ bleach bath". This process is when you use in equal parts(1:1).. A colorless or white shampoo + mixed up bleach(20v=6%+bleach powder).
Apply to dry hair. Work through hair fully. Bag it to keep the heat in ...you can give it a few blasts with a hot heat dryer for a heat boost too if you like!... Time 15 mins with bagless 5 mins cool down total 20 mins.

This removes fresh toners & can lift color up to 1 level if fairly fresh....it also can remove build up on the hair, brighten pre bleached hair for a new toner to take evenly.

Hi....you can do a "soap cap/ bleach bath". This process is when you use in equal parts(1:1).. A colorless or white shampoo + mixed up bleach(20v=6%+bleach powder).
Apply to dry hair. Work through hair fully. Bag it to keep the heat in ...you can give it a few blasts with a hot heat dryer for a heat boost too if you like!... Time 15 mins with bagless 5 mins cool down total 20 mins.

This removes fresh toners & can lift color up to 1 level if fairly fresh....it also can remove build up on the hair, brighten pre bleached hair for a new toner to take evenly.
Is there a different option than the bleach, I don't feel comfortable doing that on myself / messing it up.
What does the different % and vols do? Like what's the difference between using a higher vol than a lower one and same but %?

Is there a different option than the bleach, I don't feel comfortable doing that on myself / messing it up.
What does the different % and vols do? Like what's the difference between using a higher vol than a lower one and same but %?
Well if you don't understand the response iv provided to your query....knowing that it is quite a harmless process....then honestly you should go see a pro if the word " bleach" scares you that much!
Or take a course in hair coloring!

Well if you don't understand the response iv provided to your query....knowing that it is quite a harmless process....then honestly you should go see a pro if the word " bleach" scares you that much!
Or take a course in hair coloring!
I'm not saying it's not harmless, I said I wasn't comfortable doing it on myself. Never once said I was trained in hair, I'm a nail tech. I said I've started toning myself and asked for some advice. Like a lot of other people on the this platform, who also aren't trained in hair, who ask for advice, and get something other than a rude response.
I do see a professional for my bleaching, always have and always will.
No need to reply, as I expect it wouldn't help me in my original question.

Hi all,
Kolesten and illumina shouldn't actually be mixed together. They have a very different pigment and different structure to the way they deliver colour.
To start with you could try a deep cleansing shampoo/ clarifying shampoo - do that a few times and use a good conditioning mask afterwards and that should shift any excess tone. This should leave you with a brighter, cleaner blonde.
If that isn't enough, then I'd use Kolesten perfect 10/0 with 3% probably avoiding any natural root.

Kolesten and illumina shouldn't actually be mixed together. They have a very different pigment and different structure to the way they deliver colour.
To start with you could try a deep cleansing shampoo/ clarifying shampoo - do that a few times and use a good conditioning mask afterwards and that should shift any excess tone. This should leave you with a brighter, cleaner blonde.
If that isn't enough, then I'd use Kolesten perfect 10/0 with 3% probably avoiding any natural root.
Thank you for your Help, much appreciated. Won't mix or make that mistake again 🤦🏼‍♀️😂

Thank you for your Help, much appreciated. Won't mix or make that mistake again 🤦🏼‍♀️😂
Illumina is lovely, but 10/36 never turns out the way I expect it to. So I don't use it anymore. If you're looking for a nice clean blonde without too much tone .... For future reference you could consider illumina 10/ with 1.9% or 1.5%
Illumina is cooler than Kolesten, but because of the difference in formulation I find the hair looks smoother and has far more shine.
Hope this is useful.

Illumina is lovely, but 10/36 never turns out the way I expect it to. So I don't use it anymore. If you're looking for a nice clean blonde without too much tone .... For future reference you could consider illumina 10/ with 1.9% or 1.5%
Illumina is cooler than Kolesten, but because of the difference in formulation I find the hair looks smoother and has far more shine.
Hope this is useful.
Really useful thank you.
Would you do a equal parts mixture?

Really useful thank you.
Would you do a equal parts mixture?
To tone it should be 1 part colour to 2 parts developer

To tone it should be 1 part colour to 2 parts developer
But to lift out the colour you're trying to get rid of them use it 1:1

Latest posts

Back