australian beauty geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blossey

Reaction score
hi everyone,
I really want to do my diploma in beauty. I am going to go back to the same beauty school i did my cert II nail tech with.
Obviosly diploma is far more involved than the cert III so i want to know what my job prospects would be after i graduated with a diploma as opposed to a cert III
after i completed nails i had no idea that i would not find employment. I end up working for myself which is not what i wanted. I want a career, i dont want to work for myself right now.
so where will i be if i had my diploma and where if i just had cert III
will it be as hard as when i finished my nail course?
whats the pay range difference between diploma and cert III
and the only thing stopping me from doing it is waxing intimate area's, what was your first experience like? were they understanding? diploma is alot more gory than nails, with the ear peircing and blood and private parts and stuff LOL
Oh that reminds me, this is the course content of diploma, where it says advanced facial treatments, is that like microdermabrasion and similar treatments??

• Communicate in the Workplace
  • Work Effectively in a Retail Environment
  • Apply Safe Working Practices
  • Sell Products and Services
  • Conduct Financial Transactions
  • Provide Service to Clients
  • Advise on Beauty Services
  • Pierce ears
  • Provide Lash and Brow Treatments (tinting)
  • Provide Temporary Epilation (waxing) Bleaching Treatments
  • Provide Manicure and Pedicure Service
  • Apply Knowledge of Nail Science to Nail Services
  • Design and Apply Make Up
  • Develop a Treatment Plan for Beauty Therapy Treatments
  • Provide Facial Treatments
  • Provide Advanced Facial Treatments
  • Apply Knowledge of Anatomy & Physiology to Beauty Therapy Treatments
  • Apply Knowledge of Skin Biology to Beauty Treatments
  • Apply Knowledge of Skin Science to Beauty Therapy Treatments
  • Apply Knowledge of Electricity to Beauty Therapy Treatments
  • Apply Knowledge of Nutrition to Beauty Therapy Treatments
  • Apply Knowledge of Cosmetic Chemistry to Beauty Therapy Treatments
  • Provide Body Treatments
  • Provide Aesthetic Aromatic Massage
  • Perform Routine Housekeeping Duties

C'mon geeks, i would really love some info on this

Hi Blossey!

I am currently finishing up my diploma at the Australian College of Beauty Therapy in Perth WA. My school is quite strict so it has been quite an intense course for me but I have heard of other (more laid back) schools which do the diploma also.

Consider what products the schools you are looking into train with. It is helpful to train with what you are most interested in. For example, if you were keen to work in an Ella Bache salon the Australian College trains with that and you would be best equipped for that field.

Advanced facials refers to electrical treatments. This includes faradic, microcurrent, galvanic, high frequency... not the modern stuff like microderm unfortunately! I found it incredibly boring but it does provide a good basis for using current electrical equipment in the workforce.

To be honest, if you can, don't worry too much about the fees. I have found in the past that paying more means a better school. Some may say different, that is just my opinion! For example, at my school we have a very good employment rate but I have heard other girls find it hard to get jobs depending where they trained!

As for waxing... you will only need to do basic bikini. Brazillians are an additional course or most girls wait to be trained in their jobs. Once you've done a couple it's no big deal. It's not all that scarey I promise!

Consider also how much time you are able to dedicate to study as a diploma course is quite time consuming and (at my school anyway) intense!

Hth. Good luck in your ventures. Let us know where you enrol!

Cheers

Thanks babe, good info.
I will be training with Beauty Skills Academy here in Brisbane. They are the best in the state but are recognized nation wide. I did my cert II in nail tech with them. They use really good products.
Bikini is just the corners isn't it at the front, neatening up? it doesn't go through to the back? thats more Brazilian?
Is micro derm a diff course too?
I'm worried i'm not smart enough to do this course too.
Cert II nails was difficult at times but i passed everything.

Time restrictions stopped me from doing a full time Certificate IV or Diploma of beauty + the fact that I had already years ago completed mani - pedi/ gel & acrylic nails etc = Cert IV nails & didn't need to attend those classes.
I chose the modules/competencies in the order of what I wanted to do, time allowing. Swedish Massage + Facial's without machinery first.

Next I chose waxing & tinting but wasn't attending every day & had no where near the amount of theory/bookwork that the Cert IV or Diploma girls had BUT was completeing the same modules/competencies.

This is a flexible way to work around getting the complete Cert IV without having to be a full time student.
As you complete each unit you then qualify for RPL [ regonition of prior learning ] so when you want to expand a particular module/competency ie: Swedish Massage to Deep Tissue massage you are only doing the work to meet the gap between certs not the complete unit.

HtH

XX J XX

Is that the diploma or cert 4. The diploma has extra moduals

WRB50105 - Diploma of Beauty Therapy - Stream 1
Next Start Date - 4th July 2007

11 Months Study – full time 3 days per week
PLUS one additional day per week for approximately 5 months.
Courses commence in January & July each year

Course Content - Stream 1
The Diploma Course includes the entire Certificate IV subjects plus 6 additional units:

Investigate New Products and Services
Provide Permanent Epilation (Electrolysis- permanent hair removal)
Perform Diathermy Service (red vein removal)
Apply aromatic plant oil chemistry to beauty therapy treatments
Blend a range of aromatic plant oils for beauty treatments
Use reflexology relaxation techniques in beauty treatments
WRB50105 - Diploma of Beauty Therapy - Stream 2
Next Start Date - 4th July 2007

11 Months Study – full time 3 days per week
PLUS one additional day per week for approximately 5 months.
Courses commence in January & July each year

Course Content - Stream 2
The Diploma Course includes the entire Certificate IV subjects plus 6 additional units:

Investigate New Products and Services
Plan the Spa Program
Provide the Spa Program
Apply aromatic plant oil chemistry to beauty therapy treatments
Blend a range of aromatic plant oils for beauty treatments
Use reflexology relaxation techniques in beauty treatments
Provide superficial lymph
Plan the massage treatment

It's priced quite resonably, not much more than what I paid 4 years ago.

You should definately go for the diploma, you'll learn alot more. I'd compare it to choosing to day a 2 day nail course or a proper certificate.

I'm not sure on this but I think microdermabasion may be a post graduate course.

Yeah i just found out microdem is.
Thanks everyone for the info

hI blossey
I am doing my advanced beauticians course through the local communtiy college. From what I have heard if you do this particular course through tafe its mainy alll theory.We have done alot of theory with this course but the majority of it has been practical. so that includes eyelash tinting,eyebrow tinting, waxing body ,face bikini,- Gstring waxing,mini facials,parafin wax facials skin analysis,pedicure ( which I hated lol) yeylash perming using of electrical implements in the salon,customer service OHS just about everything
I think that the more practice you get the more comfortable you wil be when it comes time to do the task on your customers...

Latest posts

Back