Babies and working

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LisaBrad

Reaction score
Hi All,

I set up my business nearly a year ago and it's going great! Having worked in salons for 15 years and my 5 and 4 year old children in school I decided it was 'my' time to follow my dream of being my own boss.

I love it, it's great but what I wasn't expecting was any more children to come along! No no no I don't mean I've fell pregnant what I mean is that for some strange reason I desperately want more children! How has this happened? I had 2 and decided no more, had a coil fitted and started a business!

My husband wants more children aswell and says our lives will work around it. But I can't just wrap it all up go off on maternity and come back months later, all my clients will have gone elsewhere!

Any ideas of how this could work?! Obviously I wouldn't want to put a baby into nursery but I don't have anyone to help with childcare.

I'd love to hear from people with similar experiences/situations

Xxxx.

I had 3 children, started a business and I now have a beautiful 3 week old boy.

I employ staff, but I havent figured out how I can make it work yet

I'm just winging it die the time being

When I set up my business my son was months old. I think it was all that time on maternity.
I think you have to really think about all of your options. I'll take you through my thought process and maybe it could help you?

Business plan etc. Once all of that is set up, you need to think, when you go on maternity will you have saved enough to live on. Or will you be entitled to some help?

I was already being paid maternity my previous company so i can't help in that sense.

It can take a long time to have a steady flow of clients unless you are able to take them with you? As my client base grew so did my son, and I was more willing to gradually work a little more and he went into childcare.

Speaking of which. Childcare?! I was quite lucky in the sense that I live near to my in laws whom only work part time. He also goes to a childminder on a Friday. I looked into nursery but felt being young (6months ish) he could get over looked. Plus it was £90 a day!!

I asked around and found a childminder through recommendation who literally loves around the corner. She has no more than 3 kids at one time and my son really really enjoys going which is fantastic.

When I didn't want to go back to full time but still had my ladies to look after I took 3 months off completely. (They understood and went elsewhere) and then I designated one day a week. And fit my regular ladies into that day.

I was worried my clients would leave me and wouldn't want to come back but they did!

If you want a child and feel the timing isn't right, it isn't the end of the world. I would love another one but know the timing isn't right, so we've agreed to wait a few years.

Hope this helped, started waffling a little (my bad). But good luck with whatever you decide!! Xx

I have been self employed for just over 5 years now & built up a successful business. I have recently gone back to work when my baby boy was 10 weeks old (not ideal but needs must when work for yourself)he goes to nursery 1 day a week. I currently work until late on a Thursday until 3 on a Friday & one in four Saturdays. I have lost a small handful of clients, but for the days I'm there I'm always busy, my loyal clients have returned to me. It's nice to look at my diary weeks in advance and see i'm busy. I just tell my clients that they need to be more organised and pre book as I can't be as flexible anymore. Their all really understanding. Was so nice to be missed and I think my clients really appreciate me that little but more, some of their salon experiences haven't been the best whilst i was on maternity. It does work it you have loyal supporting clients and those that aren't, well their just not worth it!

Latest posts

Back