Back after a break

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does it not concern you that there are a number of people who 100% know you're using fake eBay stuff on them because you've told them that, and they have probably told other people what you do for them? Word does get round. Don't you think that could affect your reputation, even if you don't care about the insurance/reaction things?

Ok then

I still can't understand your clients though, if MAC discontinued the Paint Pot in Quite Natural, I wouldn't then want a potentially hazardous fake off eBay, I'd be looking at another high end brand for a dupe of it - I'm not great with polish colours and dupes for them in other brands so have to reference it to my actual make up

Don't honestly, I found the exact same colour in geleration which is what I used where I used to work and i showed one of them it. It was literally the same colour but because it had a different name she weren't having any of it she wanted the exact colour- the geleration was pretty much spot on but no -.-

Does it not concern you that there are a number of people who 100% know you're using fake eBay stuff on them because you've told them that, and they have probably told other people what you do for them? Word does get round. Don't you think that could affect your reputation, even if you don't care about the insurance/reaction things?

The women I do it on are family friends they know I won't do it for anyone else, they know my prices and I know they won't spread stuff about me as a therapist because they've known me since I was younger hence why Ive done it just for them and they Know I'm not ordering anymore in once these are finished. Along with that they've seen me go through my file at home from when they've visited family so they've seen all my receipts from nail hamorny where I've ordered everything but their colours from.
I do care about insurance and reactions I wouldn't be paying for insurance if I didn't care about it and reactions I tested those products on myself before using them on the women.

You are aware that reactions can take a while to develop?

@hannah O'Neil, don't leave this site. There are a lot of extremely helpful people on here who give their advice completely free of charge.

Many of us are under threat with our businesses because we do everything - and I mean everything totally above board. Insurances, training, suppliers etc so when people come on taking about buying from non genuine suppliers they get defensive.

Lots of people who want to do nails - as oppose to professionals - buy a few eBay products, do an online course through Groupon and start undercutting others. I know this isn't you.

The consensus is that no one knows if products are real. Even distributors can't be sure.

Please take on board what has been said without feeling defensive and you'll get a hell of a lot out of it all.

I will now probably get slated by nail techs telling me that their Groupon course was great but hey ho!

Vic x

You are aware that reactions can take a while to develop?
Yes I know, when I tried them I had them on my nails for just over 2 weeks and still left them a week when I took them off to make sure nothing would happen. I have dermatitis on my right hand and eczema so if anything would come up it would have affected my dermatitis on my hand which it didn't. The women know I'm not buying any more because they know I'm going to try go completely self employed which they know I can't have eBay brought stuff. They're annoyed but will have to deal with it.

@hannah O'Neil, don't leave this site. There are a lot of extremely helpful people on here who give their advice completely free of charge.

Many of us are under threat with our businesses because we do everything - and I mean everything totally above board. Insurances, training, suppliers etc so when people come on taking about buying from non genuine suppliers they get defensive.

Lots of people who want to do nails - as oppose to professionals - buy a few eBay products, do an online course through Groupon and start undercutting others. I know this isn't you.

The consensus is that no one knows if products are real. Even distributors can't be sure.

Please take on board what has been said without feeling defensive and you'll get a hell of a lot out of it all.

I will now probably get slated by nail techs telling me that their Groupon course was great but hey ho!

Vic x

I know what you mean, I understand people will get defensive when I've said it. I still work 40hours a week and do my clients after work and on days off. I started doing gels from home when I was 18 just on close friends and family cause I'd juse done the training through work, the women I brought the eBay ones for ive been doing there nails since I was 18 they've been good friends and also loyal clients they've come to me every 3 weeks since then to have them reapplied and taken off, I told them just under 2 months ago I won't be reordering the eBay colours for them in and I havent seen them now for nearly 4 weeks. I'm now hoping to cut my days at work down at work to just 3 days a week to then completely self employed I still haven't decided how to do it yet but I know I need everything genuine for it.
I get what you mean about the grout on our clients we get at work will wrote on there forms nail techs or beauty therapists and it's courses they've paid from somewhere like that which have been half day courses and gone straight into it from home.
We have a woman at work who's not even trained in gels yet she does geleration from home, we have a therapist who uses bluesky gels which I don't even know if there a legit brand so I understand people's frustration on here with me saying ive brought a few from eBay.

I learn an awful lot from many of you on this site, I rarely comment just learn and gain invaluable advice from you all but today I feel I have to comment. Hannah, you have admitted you buy from eBay and are not certain they are genuine, at best we all know, if discontinued they will be out of date! The best way to handle his, old client, friend or family is tell them the colour has been discontinued, you will have to pick another colour as they no longer make this colour. Don't give them an option of 'I can get one from eBay, it might not be real but you're ok with that' family or not, people will still try to sue in this where there is blame there is a claim society, you will not be covered in your insurance, it will ruin your reputation and business, it's not worth it, be strong and say sorry, we can no longer get that colour. Don't leave this site, there is so much good advice, and it may seem harsh but people are giving you advice and good advice, especially the likes of coco allure, who takes time to show people how to do things, this is a strong and very helpful community. As for advice on products, who did you train with? What do they suggest? Perhaps start with that, you must have chosen to train with a particular brand for a reason? Go with that, if you don't like it then look to try something else later. After all that, my main point is don't give up on Salongeek, all geeks are here to help, don't let clients push you into using discontinued brands which invalidate your insurance and ruin your business.

Wow, sorry about all that, I think I burnt myself out, going to get a coffee to refresh myself! [emoji47]

I learn an awful lot from many of you on this site, I rarely comment just learn and gain invaluable advice from you all but today I feel I have to comment. Hannah, you have admitted you buy from eBay and are not certain they are genuine, at best we all know, if discontinued they will be out of date! The best way to handle his, old client, friend or family is tell them the colour has been discontinued, you will have to pick another colour as they no longer make this colour. Don't give them an option of 'I can get one from eBay, it might not be real but you're ok with that' family or not, people will still try to sue in this where there is blame there is a claim society, you will not be covered in your insurance, it will ruin your reputation and business, it's not worth it, be strong and say sorry, we can no longer get that colour. Don't leave this site, there is so much good advice, and it may seem harsh but people are giving you advice and good advice, especially the likes of coco allure, who takes time to show people how to do things, this is a strong and very helpful community. As for advice on products, who did you train with? What do they suggest? Perhaps start with that, you must have chosen to train with a particular brand for a reason? Go with that, if you don't like it then look to try something else later. After all that, my main point is don't give up on Salongeek, all geeks are here to help, don't let clients push you into using discontinued brands which invalidate your insurance and ruin your business.

I was 18 when I recommended eBay for them, I didn't plan to go self employed when I done them. Back then I literally was doing them from home for practise and they just stuck with it and I know what you mean.
The acrylics course I done it weren't a brand specific course we'll that's what they said however the woman training us loved nsi attraction, so that's just what we used, I liked the products- but ive never used any other for acrylics which is why I asked advice on what's best to use. The woman on the training weren't amazing, she was lovely and you could tell she knew her stuff but I can't say I've come out of the course 100% confidant knowing what each product does and is used for-like the powders and stuff she explained in detail in how to do it and everything but info about the products its not in our booklets either :( it's why I joined on here haha
By the way i'm Hannah just it took them 2 days to delete my account.. I can go on my old one just cant reply lol x

Oh gosh, sorry everyone I didn't realise anyone had replied! No I would buy anything from ebay as you just don't know what you'd be getting. I've contacted NSI and Ink london nails and gave them details of my course so I could get a student account with both. They were both really helpful and happy for me to have student accounts, so I don't know why anyone wouldn't be able to get hold of what they need.
I particularly like the ideaof NSI as they have a good reputation and there is a trainer here in Kent for when I've finished my initial Nail tech course, but I've also heard good things about Ink Nails, especially their ilac gel polish. I suppose it's just trial and error?
I'm learning with the gel secrets range from Nsi on my course which I like the idea of as its soak off. But the l&p is the edge and I don't like it, I prefer the Nsi that I've tried. I really want to try some CND as everyone raves about them, but I'll have to wait until I've passed before I can try anything from them.
I'm just loving the course and getting as much practice in on my nail trainer at home. My l&p needs allot of work, but as soon as my little one is in bed I'm at the table and practice, practice, practice! Thanks everyone x ☺

Oops meant to write WOULDNT buy anything from ebay!

Latest posts

Back