Bad atmosphere created in a salon - why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathair

Reaction score
Hi all

I just wondered why some salons have such a bad atmosphere? What is the point in creating one between salon staff.

A classic example is of a salon owner waiting until there is as many members of staff together to deliberately put another employee down when really the situation should be dealt with in private.

Another is a salon owner discussing a weakness of another member of staff behind their back. Again, with as bigger audience as possible. Not to mention giving encouragement to belittle the weakling at the first opportunity.

Now, employees will talk about each other, although I think this should be stopped as it just causes unrest, but surely salon owners / managers should know better?

quite sad isnt it really! were all in a profession with our passion in common, yet we take it as some big competition on whos better etc! none of us ever stop learning doesnt matter if youve been in the industry 30 odd years or just starting out always learning, and we have alot to learn from eachother..
have you spoken to your boss about this? sometimes maybe they dont realise there doing it??
or take it as constructive critisim! just not fair in front of other people.. chin up x

quite sad isnt it really! were all in a profession with our passion in common, yet we take it as some big competition on whos better etc! none of us ever stop learning doesnt matter if youve been in the industry 30 odd years or just starting out always learning, and we have alot to learn from eachother..
have you spoken to your boss about this? sometimes maybe they dont realise there doing it??
or take it as constructive critisim! just not fair in front of other people.. chin up x
Hi, thanks for the reply. It isn't against me, but I have noticed it happen and just wanted to see what response I got. Thanks for replying, a lot of people have looked but none others have replied! x

When you're given the key to your first salon, you don't automatically become Vidal Sassoon.

It's the same in many industries where staff are promoted on the basis of their excellent practical skills without considering they might need some specific training and support to become a good manager and successful salon owner.

Equally, some employees struggle to appreciate that in order to create a successful, happy team, they must co-operate fully and support each other and leave the Diva behaviour outside the door.

(Moody Diva hairdressers are my pet hate!)

Unfortunately we are in a quite bitchy environment.

Hi all

I just wondered why some salons have such a bad atmosphere? What is the point in creating one between salon staff.

A classic example is of a salon owner waiting until there is as many members of staff together to deliberately put another employee down when really the situation should be dealt with in private.

Another is a salon owner discussing a weakness of another member of staff behind their back. Again, with as bigger audience as possible. Not to mention giving encouragement to belittle the weakling at the first opportunity.

Now, employees will talk about each other, although I think this should be stopped as it just causes unrest, but surely salon owners / managers should know better?

What you are describing is passive bullying. If you are ever victim of this behaviour go to ACAS. Then perhaps start looking for another job.

Yeahhh when i mentioned getting harassed by a client, i got slagged off by a manager to a member of staff saying i was overreacting... people just cant help themselves. A**holes

I hurt my back doing too much massage and was in agony with strain and muscle spasms. The doctor told me to take a week off.

My boss was awful and told all of the staff that I was faking and just wanted time off.

I wished I was faking. Didn't stay there much longer x

This is going to sound really sexiest but I've found when there are loads of women under one roof it's the perfect environment for this nasty type behaviours. I really don't think it's the profession because i have worked in a place where it was all women and I had to leave the place, but it wasn't in this industry. When I worked in a place where it was mixed men and women this kind of nonsense never happened. It just showed me how ridiculous the other place was. Part pf the reason I went out on my own was because I didn't want to work in a crowd of bitchy women. I'm not saying all salons are like this but it seems a common complaint X

Yeahhh when i mentioned getting harassed by a client, i got slagged off by a manager to a member of staff saying i was overreacting... people just cant help themselves. A**holes
Anymore issues Frankie?

Hi all

Thanks for the replies, its a shame that others have suffered, but it is good to know you are not alone.

I have had some nasty things said to me, but its frightening for me to say on here as knowing my luck someone would see it and realise it was me!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps I could say a bit ..... I have a facial disfigurement and a salon owner suggested that I grow an asymmetric fringe over one side of my face to cover it. Well I don't want to cover it up to be honest, I am proud not to feel like I need to cover it up.

I felt like saying that she should cover her sad ass mouth up, but didn't give the satisfaction away!

xx

Anymore issues Frankie?
Not atm with that particular issue, no doubt there will be though....

Op i think you should leave that place! Salons in general just seem to be unprofessional with regards to how they treat their employees (the ones ive worked in anyway).... but you cant get treated like that its disgusting x

This is exactly what I've been going through since November. Wouldn't say it was the big bosses doing it at my place but it was other staff. I reported it but now I've got a new job and just want to start fresh and start again. I've only been working in the industry for 10ish months and thank god I haven't fallen out of love with clients and the job.

Time to forget and move on now for me xx

Latest posts

Back