Barbering - confused?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamio

Reaction score
Hey Geeks! :)

I'm doing my NVQ level 2 in ladies hairdressing, but it doesn't really cover any aspects of barbering, or men's hair. I've been looking for similar courses, whilst doing my NVQ, but can't really find any.

Basically, what i want to know is, do i need an NVQ 2 in barbering (if such a thing exists?) to cut men's hair, or don't you need any qualification as such to do men's hair? I'm a bit confused! Could anyone shine some light on this please?

Thanks,

Kam x

Hey Geeks! :)

I'm doing my NVQ level 2 in ladies hairdressing, but it doesn't really cover any aspects of barbering, or men's hair. I've been looking for similar courses, whilst doing my NVQ, but can't really find any.

Basically, what i want to know is, do i need an NVQ 2 in barbering (if such a thing exists?) to cut men's hair, or don't you need any qualification as such to do men's hair? I'm a bit confused! Could anyone shine some light on this please?

Thanks,

Kam x

Hi there

I was told by my college that their NVQ 2 hairdressing does cover abit about men's barbering as well, but really if your doing NVQ 2 hairdressing then your going to be qualified in all aspects of hair technique cutting anyway.

There are a number of short courses available in mens hair cutting, depending on what your local college is offering

I know there is a short course at my college called ( Award cutting in men's hair, city and guilds that covers units from NVQ 2 barbering.

I've not done a barbering course but I am a hairdresser and tbh when I first started doing men's hair (lernt on the job) I found it hard, it's very different cutting men's hair to ladies. I would say if your are wanting to cover all bases then go on a barbering course. Men can be just as niggly (if not worse) than us ladies when it comes to being groomed :p

Barbering is generally very precise, I suppose if you've covered scissor over comb, fine graduation, getting the angle right on the side of the head, dealing with the 'stray' hairs:Scared: (ears, neck, eyebrows) and even a longer layered cut on a man is different because it has to be a bit 'macho'!! lol. If you feel you can do all these things confidently then maybe you'll get by without extra training but i'd recommend doing a specific barbering qualification. There was a 3 day course mentioned on here in a previous thread - I think we all agreed it was a complete con! Keep practicing on friends and family :biggrin:.

Barbering is generally very precise, I suppose if you've covered scissor over comb, fine graduation, getting the angle right on the side of the head, dealing with the 'stray' hairs:Scared: (ears, neck, eyebrows) and even a longer layered cut on a man is different because it has to be a bit 'macho'!! lol. If you feel you can do all these things confidently then maybe you'll get by without extra training but i'd recommend doing a specific barbering qualification. There was a 3 day course mentioned on here in a previous thread - I think we all agreed it was a complete con! Keep practicing on friends and family :biggrin:.

I was kinda hoping i didn't have to do a barber course. Call me lazy, but i just don't have time to fit that in, too. Not alongside my NVQ in hairdressing lol I'm not really interested in shaving and all that jazz, however, i'd like to learn to cut bloke's hair. Might look into one of those week courses, after i've finished my NVQ, to see if that helps with the basics of bloke's hair.

Thanks all

Kam x

Most colleges don't cover barbering as it's too expensive for them to get the materials to be able to teach it! But I qualified 4years ago and even whilst I was at college I just jumped myself in the deep end and done gents hair! And it's just practice that makes perfect as long as you no the basics! I'm fine doing if now just get plenty of practice in and I done loads of gents for £5 to practice on and they were more than happy!

This is a good place to learn barbering, you can learn in house or they come to you

Most colleges don't cover barbering as it's too expensive for them to get the materials to be able to teach it! But I qualified 4years ago and even whilst I was at college I just jumped myself in the deep end and done gents hair! And it's just practice that makes perfect as long as you no the basics! I'm fine doing if now just get plenty of practice in and I done loads of gents for £5 to practice on and they were more than happy!

lol sounds like something i'll be doing! good thing my partner is open to being the dummy for the next year :D

This is a good place to learn barbering, you can learn in house or they come to you

Hi thanks for the reply. I've just had a little look at the course offered. Seem pretty good but it's very expensive. I'm having to pay for my NVQ level 2 myself, which cost just short of the prices quoted on that website, so i couldn't afford the same amount again :sad: Thanks, though :)

Latest posts

Back