Barbicide

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sue

Reaction score
On the course I did we were taught to sanitize our tables, hands and implements with a spray sanitizer. But what about Barbicide, we weren't told about this substance. I imagine this is for soaking clippers, cuticle pushers in - any other things you can use this for - do you use it neat? Is Barbicide a trade name - are there others that work the same?

Thankyou
Sue

I personally soak in Cavicide by Backscratchers or Let's Dance or Let's Touch. It is a hospital grade disinfectant and I use it on my tables, bits and disinfectable files and implements. It doesn't seem to hurt my metal things at all. It will kill HIV, hepatitis and all those other good cooties I didn't mention that we want dead.

I think, but not positive they have a Barbacide Plus that has something the Barbacide doesn't but don't quote me on that. I don't know if one will kill something and the other won't. :?:

Hi Sue, I'm very surprised that they didnt teach you about Disinfection on your course. Was it a beginners or a conversion?. It sounds as if they just pressumed you already know about it anyway. I dont think sanitation of your implements is considered enough. If you're servicing clients all implements have to be washed with soap and water, rinsed and completely immersed in a substance like Barbicide or Marvicide for the required time - between clients. I get mine from my local Capital so I'm sure Sallys near you would sell it. I was also taught that you should use a hot air steriliser but I've read that they are not much more effective than using Barbicide - does anyone else know different?.In Chiropody school we were told that Autoclaves were the only thing to offer complete sterilization but I think they're mega expensive and blunt instruments over time, again does anyone know better on this one? Typical me, I started off trying to help and end up asking a bunch of questions myself :D

Laurie said:
I think, but not positive they have a Barbacide Plus that has something the Barbacide doesn't but don't quote me on that. I don't know if one will kill something and the other won't. :?:

Barb + is a phenolic disinfectant. The only thing phenolics do extra is kill TB. The really stupid thing there is that there has never been a recorded history of TB being spread via implements... its an air borne transmitted disease... In other words, your tools will be TB free... but your client hacking up on you is what’s gonna pass it.

Phenolics are extremely poisonous and crap out your tools pretty quickly. In fact... you must wash your tools after disinfecting them in a phenolic solution. In my opinion... don't bother... they suck. ;)

As far as the Auto-clave thing... it is the only true steriliser.
Its not even necessary in a salon setting unless you are performing invasive surgery on your clients... hmmm... come to think of it... I may know a couple of techs that could use one :twisted:

Seriously... the only real added benefit of sterilisation is that it kills spores.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice - all items have been washed between clients and then sprayed with sanitizer.

As I say, you can only learn what companies choose to teach you. As a beginner you go into a new area and are there to learn ... you just have to hope you've picked the correct course and educators.

On finishing the course we were told that we were well ready to get out there and work on real clients.

Thanks Again

Sue
xxx

have just bought some barbicide from sallys .how do u guys dispose of the stuff.the people in sallys didnt know.cause i dont think you can chuck it down toilet.also what do u guys do with acetone that you have soaked enhancements off with. (when you do it by putting fingers in a bowl of acetone).also with the barbicide do you spray files with it. about phenolics crapping out your tools,i take it barbicide isnt one of these

Used acetone should be discarded safely - pour onto kitchen towel and leave somewhere where children and pets cannot get to it. Let it evaporate before disposing of it in a metal bin.

Love
Sue
xxx

http://uk.msnusers.com/NailMates

thats what i thought let it evaporate. its just that i no some people who throw it down the toilet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back