Barclaycard con-so that's how people get into debt!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spa Therapist

Reaction score
Well I always thought you had to be irresponsible to get into debt but now I'm starting to wonder! I have a Barclaycard which I've been using for about a year in order to build up my credit rating to allow us to take out our mortgage. I pay off the balance in full immediately every month and sometimes pay it off earlier if I'm passing Barclays. My card expired in February and I thought I hadn't received a new card (it had ended up in my husband's post pile) and I haven't updated any of my online shopping accounts with the new card yet so the last transaction I made was in February. Now I'm getting letters with £12 late payment charges and interest applied!!

Please tell me how you incur a late payment charge by paying in full before the bill is even issued?!

Unfortunately I can't remember when I paid it at the counter and the cashier didn't give me a receipt. I'm so annoyed that this will leave a black mark on my credit rating for the next 6 years and I'm NEVER using a credit card again. I thought it would be beneficial, in fact it just seems to be a con. Despite me using it sensibly, I'm now "in debt" to them. I'll be paying it off today and cutting it up!! Sorry this should probably be on the rant thread :irked:

You need to speak to them to find out where the charge has come from. There will be an explanation and if it's a mistake they have made they can rectify it for you. I used to work in Credit Card Collections.

Yes do phone them. I find them really helpful and when I've had problems, they sort it all for me. I wonder if you confused the system by paying too early ? That's all I can think of.

Good luck, I'm sure it will be fine.

Yeah call them- they refunded my late charges once when I called up. If it's just one missed payment they might not put it in Experian even if they have it won't affect your credit rating for the next 6 years. It registers the last 12 months and the non payment moves along until it's eventually moved off had replaced by correct payments. I once thought I closed a credit card the day a balance was charged. So u left it open with a 10p balance in it, I then moved house and then didn't know about it for years afterwards when I did an Experian and saw all these defaults!
My credit was fine still though.

Thankyou ladies! I went to the bank today and they couldn't do anything as the cashier didn't stamp my letter or give me a receipt (my own fault for not pushing her to give me one!)

They've set up a payment on the account manager machine now so I can print a receipt myself, I'm still not sure if I want to use it anymore though - my pride is hurt :o

It's good to know that it won't stay on my credit report for long, I was led to believe that every little thing was on their for 6 years! :hug:

I do the same, I got a brand new 0% 16 month Halifax. I put money on it all the time. One month I got interest!

When I rung, I had paid my bill early! So your benefits get taken away.

So annoyed had to find another credit card with low balance transfer to transfer a couple of thousand!

Latest posts

Back