Barrier impairment help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHarvey

Reaction score
Hello Beauties!

I have a bit of skin issue and am at the end of my tether about how to treat it, so would love some advice!

I've always had dry skin, and have dealt with it as such. However, for the past two years or so my forehead especially has become increasingly dry and dehydrated, to the point of irritation. The rest of my skin seems to be fine, it's really just my forehead.

I am currently using a combination of Cosmedix and Aspect products, as well as a few extras. My morning routine is a gentle cleanse with clean tepid water (I always wash my face before bed), followed by a Hyaluronic Acid/Niacinamide Serum, some Vitamin C (when not too sensitive), and then a day moisturiser with SPF and also a light application of Cosmedix Rescue Balm, as I find working inside in the heating tends to dry my skin out.

At night I cleanse with either an oil cleanser or a gentle wash, and then apply either an AHA refining serum followed by night cream AND Rescue Balm, OR more niacinamide/hyaluronic acid and then a Go-To Face Oil or Rescue.

Basically, I'm shellacking as much hydration and moisturiser as I can onto my skin to keep it as protected as possible. Still, I'm finding flaky skin and tightness across the forehead, and at times sensitivity.

Can anyone recommend any products or ANYTHING to help?

You could possibly have some kind of skin condition as oppose to just dry skin. This may be psoriasis or some kind of allergy. Irritation is usually a clue.

You sound like you're doing a lot to a fragile skin. When you say a gentle cleanse, are you just using water? What products are you using? A day moisturiser with spf isn't the best. You should never use a moisturiser with spf in it, it should always be applied over and please don't use anything really above about a 15 or they are loaded with chemicals.

Ideally you need a proper skin analysis, but what brands/products are you using and what make up?

Vic x

You could possibly have some kind of skin condition as oppose to just dry skin. This may be psoriasis or some kind of allergy. Irritation is usually a clue.

You sound like you're doing a lot to a fragile skin. When you say a gentle cleanse, are you just using water? What products are you using? A day moisturiser with spf isn't the best. You should never use a moisturiser with spf in it, it should always be applied over and please don't use anything really above about a 15 or they are loaded with chemicals.

Ideally you need a proper skin analysis, but what brands/products are you using and what make up?

Vic x
Hey!

Thanks so much for your reply.

As a beauty therapist it's so frustrating when you can't fix your own skin!

I'm currently using Jane Iredale exclusively for makeup. My products are as follows:

AM
Cleanse w tepid water only
HB5 Serum by The Skin Care Company
Vitamin C Serum by The Skin Care Company (if skin isn't too flakey/irritated)
Daily Moisturiser w SPF from above
Rescue Balm by Cosmedix

PM
Purity Solution by Cosmedix (oil)
HB5
Rescue Balm or
Go-To Skin Face Hero
1-2 week I also use Exfoliant Serun by The Skin Care Company
1-2 week I slap on the Hydrating Mask by ASPECT also.

All products are chemical and preservative free.

I would whittle it right down.

I personally think Jane Iredale is the best you can use. I would recommend environ. I honestly don't know anything about what you're using but I would stop any exfoliating. I'm assuming they're also perfume free. The problem is that some products are so everything free that they don't do anything - think simple products.

You may want to look at changing shampoo to an sls free product - osmo do one for coloured hair that's really good. This is a common irritant for a challenged skin and is easy to do.

Just some thoughts

Vic x

Yeah I think because it is just ur forehead it may be psoriasis or maybe your hair care products

Also stop using moisturiser with spf. Use a good moisturiser and a good spf x

You could also use supplements to feed your skin from the inside. Omega 3 oil can help with dryness or dehydration. Make sure you're not overdoing the omega 6 as too much of this can lead to skin irritation. Make sure you're taking vegetables that contain water, it's more effective than just drinking water. In Australia, there are several salons which stock Dermaviduals products. You could have a serum of active extracts made up for you which you could use alongside your current regime. I've done this to clients on a short-term basis.

Thanks so much ladies. I've cut down on my regimen a little - removing any exfoliating other than a gentle AHA exfoliant once a week. The dryness is still there, however it's not as bad.

In terms of hair products, I'm using Kevin Murphy, which is both Paraben and Sulphate free.

I have still been applying my hyaluronic acid serum, and a basic moisturiser day and night, but have also introduced the Cosmedix CPR serum - which is for irritated skin, and I definitely think it's helped with the irritation.

Will definitely look into some omega 3 supplements also.

x

Latest posts

Back