Beauty | Armpits4August Is Female Version Of Movember

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
As salon professionals, there's every chance you may notice a small drop in underarm waxing in August. Or you may not. Let's face it, Armpits4August have a tough battle on their hand. After decades of being told that fuzz-free is the only acceptable way, you have to give credit to a charity that's trying to convince us that hairy pits is the way to go.

The charity's campaign is all about raising awareness for those women affected by Polycistic Ovary Syndrome symptoms of which are fertility issues, weight gain and hirsutism. Individually, any of those symptoms are devastating to deal with but when hit with all three the confidence of these women can hit an all time low.

Of them all, the most socially unacceptable is hirsutism. PCOS can cause hair growth on chest, back and face that can be so rapid it requires shaving twice a day. This can be imprisoning for many women who feel pressure and judgement from a society that almost universally expects us all to be hair free. Armpits4August are asking us to challenge our own expectations of what's ok and whether we could go without the razor for a month. At the very least, we need to be more aware of this.

Armpits4August are used to the pro-depilation camp throwing accusations of ugliness and lack of hygiene their way and frankly, they're a bit tired of them. Afterall, underarm hair serves a very clear purpose and one that's all about hygiene as the hair is designed to push sweat and odour causing bacteria away from the skin.

Those who are medically hirsute say that it isn't shaving and waxing that gives them more confidence. Instead, it's sharing body-positive experiences with people...perhaps we can help them?

Even if you can't bring yourself to grow your armpit hair, perhaps we can share Armpits4August's campaign and help raise awareness?

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• hairy armpit.jpg
    hairy armpit.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 55,879
As salon professionals, there's every chance you may notice a small drop in underarm waxing in August. Or you may not. Let's face it, Armpits4August have a tough battle on their hand. After decades of being told that fuzz-free is the only acceptable way, you have to give credit to a charity that's trying to convince us that hairy pits is the way to go.

The charity's campaign is all about raising awareness for those women affected by Polycistic Ovary Syndrome symptoms of which are fertility issues, weight gain and hirsutism. Individually, any of those symptoms are devastating to deal with but when hit with all three the confidence of these women can hit an all time low.

Of them all, the most socially unacceptable is hirsutism. PCOS can cause hair growth on chest, back and face that can be so rapid it requires shaving twice a day. This can be imprisoning for many women who feel pressure and judgement from a society that almost universally expects us all to be hair free. Armpits4August are asking us to challenge our own expectations of what's ok and whether we could go without the razor for a month. At the very least, we need to be more aware of this.

Armpits4August are used to the pro-depilation camp throwing accusations of ugliness and lack of hygiene their way and frankly, they're a bit tired of them. Afterall, underarm hair serves a very clear purpose and one that's all about hygiene as the hair is designed to push sweat and odour causing bacteria away from the skin.

Those who are medically hirsute say that it isn't shaving and waxing that gives them more confidence. Instead, it's sharing body-positive experiences with people...perhaps we can help them?

Even if you can't bring yourself to grow your armpit hair, perhaps we can share Armpits4August's campaign and help raise awareness?

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

In my opinion they chose completely the wrong part of the body to promote their campaign with.

As much as I have sympathy for the plight of those with this condition .. no I will not be physically supporting it.

I definatly wont be doing this. I dont think clients would be too happy when im cutting their hair with a sweaty hairy armpit lol xx

I suffer from PCOS but will thankfully not be able to take part in this campaign as I have had IPL on my underarms so have no hair left.

Would be able to take part in movember though :lick:

As a PCOS sufferer myself, this is just one of many campaigns to raise awareness. There was a very brave lady who has PCOS who took part in the Movember and gave most of the men a good run for their money. Good for her!

Latest posts

Back