Beauty | Beautician's Illegal Teeth Whitening Case Reopened

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can say is "Why would you.....?"

Vicki x

Totally agree. There are loads of treatments open to beauty therapists, tooth whitening ain't one of them. If people want to start pointing lasers at my teeth, I want then to be fully qualified dentists.

I think it goes back to the 'people don't know how much they don't know' argument. As a beauty therapist, we are not medically trained, not taught the physics of lasers, not taught the chemistry of the chemicals used, and not taught the A+P of the mouth, teeth, gums and tongue.

If it was that easy, do you not think dentists would have the work experience kids doing these treatments?

So does this mean all teeth whitening people are acting illegally if they aren't a trained dentist, nurse or hygienist?

That's scary as there's so many around my area!!
In a word Yes.

It is NOT currently illegal for persons other than dentists to carry out teeth whitening. The Law on this matter is currently open to interpretation, and used in a bias manner to favour GDC members.

While the GDC claim that hundreds of complaints have been recieved about teeth whitening operations, these are on the whole, complaints generated by their own members to protect their monopoly in their geographical location.

From these 'Hundreds of Complaints' less than a handful of people have been prosecuted, and these prosecutions came about rightly so, in most cases, because of blatant misrepresentation, or use of illegal products, which I would like to add, are still being used by a lot of dentists today.

The GDC have a backlog of complaints about their own members which still are requiring investigation, they are not shouting that out to anyone are they?

God forbid, you are carrying out a teeth whitening service within all the strict guidelines set out, and your local dentist sees a drop in revenue. FACT: Dentists revenue has decreased dramatically over the last five years.

You will be sent a generic letter from the GDC threatening legal action. I have added below a couple of references if you are really interested in this subject. I strongly believe that dentists have an obligation to make it a priority to get their own house in order, practice withing the guidelines they set themselves and agreed to, before they can adopt the moral high ground.

If you are interested enough, read the following:

exploreb2b.com/articles/what-your-dentist-doesnt-want-you-to-know-about-teeth-whitening

This is a BBC Video you can watch:

bbc.co.uk/news/health-16529194

This is a copy of an email I received from a reputable Insurance company I spoke to last week:

[FONT=&quot]SECURE LINE INSURANCE[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Copy of Email 05/03/2014[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for taking the time to chat earlier. Firstly let me assure you that as long as an individual follows strict guidelines they are able to offer teeth whitening services responsibly and legally. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The individual must ensure they do not fall within the remit of dentistry as set out by Section 37 of the Dentists Act 1984 (as amended). What this means is, it is not only the peroxide levels in the gel that the individual must be aware of but also the way the services are offered.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What we advocate for our own clinics and clients are ensuring the services they offer are limited to the following:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Selling a disposable gum-shield that is prefilled with non peroxide gel. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]The customer upon purchase of the gum-shield has the option of using this product at home at their own leisure or at our premises.[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]There is no prior examination of the customer’s mouth. No advice or diagnosis takes place and no recommendations are given.[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]All information with regards to the product is supplied by the product manufacturer; we act as a vendor. Thus we do not carry out any procedures involving the application of any product which would constitute treatment, advice or attendance.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This means the role of our own technicians and clients are effectively limited to that of an approved product vendor, and does not fall within the remit of Section 37 of the Dentists Act 1984 (as amended). [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
As always I look forward to your comments.
[/FONT]

If you're happy doing it, then I ain't gonna tell you to stop.

I started to offer teeth whitening last September and got a letter from the GDC. I spoke to a solicitor and I have stopped it - there is not a leg to stand on according to them and I could still get a criminal record if anyone that I have done complains!

How do I go about getting my money back? The company said they will get someone to call me back but I havent heard anything for a week

• [FONT=&quot]Selling a disposable gum-shield that is prefilled with non peroxide gel. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]The customer upon purchase of the gum-shield has the option of using this product at home at their own leisure or at our premises.[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]There is no prior examination of the customer’s mouth. No advice or diagnosis takes place and no recommendations are given.[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]All information with regards to the product is supplied by the product manufacturer; we act as a vendor. Thus we do not carry out any procedures involving the application of any product which would constitute treatment, advice or attendance.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This means the role of our own technicians and clients are effectively limited to that of an approved product vendor, and does not fall within the remit of Section 37 of the Dentists Act 1984 (as amended). [/FONT]

So it's a retail product, that a person can do themselves at home, using the information/instructions supplied with the retail product.

How is that a professional service?! Its a little like a person going into a hairdressers to buy a retail box colour, which they then apply to their own head whilst the hairdresser sits about reading the instructions on the back of the box to them!!

So it's a retail product, that a person can do themselves at home, using the information/instructions supplied with the retail product.

How is that a professional service?! Its a little like a person going into a hairdressers to buy a retail box colour, which they then apply to their own head whilst the hairdresser sits about reading the instructions on the back of the box to them!!

Exactly!

Would they use the laser on someone that is heavily pregnant? If not then it shows that a decision has been made and it is not a product

I still don`t understand how the Trading Standards of the local councils where teeth whitening companies are able to demonstrate their products, such as at the EXCEL Professional Beauty show, don`t stop them from carrying out thousands of treatments on the public. If it`s ONLY GDC registered dentists or technicians that can perform this service why are they allowed to demonstrate at these shows and then sell their systems to salons that are clearly not registered. It is so confusing and unclear that I have decided not to take a chance of being prosecuted and am now looking for a registered technician to come in to my salon to carry out this service.

It is NOT currently illegal for persons other than dentists to carry out teeth whitening. The Law on this matter is currently open to interpretation, and used in a bias manner to favour GDC members.

While the GDC claim that hundreds of complaints have been recieved about teeth whitening operations, these are on the whole, complaints generated by their own members to protect their monopoly in their geographical location.

From these 'Hundreds of Complaints' less than a handful of people have been prosecuted, and these prosecutions came about rightly so, in most cases, because of blatant misrepresentation, or use of illegal products, which I would like to add, are still being used by a lot of dentists today.

The GDC have a backlog of complaints about their own members which still are requiring investigation, they are not shouting that out to anyone are they?

God forbid, you are carrying out a teeth whitening service within all the strict guidelines set out, and your local dentist sees a drop in revenue. FACT: Dentists revenue has decreased dramatically over the last five years.

You will be sent a generic letter from the GDC threatening legal action. I have added below a couple of references if you are really interested in this subject. I strongly believe that dentists have an obligation to make it a priority to get their own house in order, practice withing the guidelines they set themselves and agreed to, before they can adopt the moral high ground.

If you are interested enough, read the following:

exploreb2b.com/articles/what-your-dentist-doesnt-want-you-to-know-about-teeth-whitening

This is a BBC Video you can watch:

bbc.co.uk/news/health-16529194

This is a copy of an email I received from a reputable Insurance company I spoke to last week:

[FONT=&quot]SECURE LINE INSURANCE[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Copy of Email 05/03/2014[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thanks for taking the time to chat earlier. Firstly let me assure you that as long as an individual follows strict guidelines they are able to offer teeth whitening services responsibly and legally. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The individual must ensure they do not fall within the remit of dentistry as set out by Section 37 of the Dentists Act 1984 (as amended). What this means is, it is not only the peroxide levels in the gel that the individual must be aware of but also the way the services are offered.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What we advocate for our own clinics and clients are ensuring the services they offer are limited to the following:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]This means the role of our own technicians and clients are effectively limited to that of an approved product vendor, and does not fall within the remit of Section 37 of the Dentists Act 1984 (as amended). [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
As always I look forward to your comments.
[/FONT]

Having been sold a 'tooth whitening' package from rogue traders at Pro Beauty, and currently dealing with the GDC on a one to one basis almost daily and with expert dental input, I would say that I am in a far better position to comment than you.

It is crystal clear, if you instruct a client 'to pop that in your mouth' that is giving advice, if you ask them if they have any mouth problems, the same applies.

If you are just going to provide a product and sell it on, different rules apply, but let's face it, how many clients are going to pay £89 for a per loaded mouth guard filled with a cheap whitening agent and then have a laser light at home to activate the product.
Worth noting that results often are only temporary as the surface enamel is just dried out in the majority of cases, and regular colour is restored from anywhere between 3 hours to 3 weeks, but at worst, cause soft tissue damage, pitted damaged enamel leading to nerve damage and major sensitivity, your client will be back knocking on your door and telling all their friends about you then they'll sue you!

Choice of whether to offer this service is entirely up to the individual, but get the basic facts right first. The whitening companies will do anything, I really do mean anything to make a sale.

To think you can offer a tooth whitening service if you don't have a GDC number or are not a dentist is more than foolish and quite frankly you will get what you deserve.

I too was sold a 'teeth whitening package' by Megawhite which is totally useless, after speaking with the GDC they asked me if I was a dentist?I replied 'No', they asked me if I was a hygenist

I replied 'No', then they asked me if I was a trained dental nurse with a current GDC number, I replied 'No'. This is what they then told me...
'It is illegal for anyone other than the mentioned to perform teeth whitening, if you continue, you are liable to get a criminal record and be fined up to £5K, no matter what product your using'.

Go on to facebook 'illegal teeth whitening' page, it's all on there, plan as day!

As I have already said - Why would you?

I cannot understand, with the amount of rhetoric and the completely grey area that still exists, why anyone would purchase a tooth whitening kit.

I am proud to be a bloody good beauty therapist. I offer excellent treatments and am thoroughly insured for all of them. This kind of treatment really gives therapists a bad name - it looks like we're just jumping on any old bandwagon to make a quick buck.

If I want my teeth whitened, I will go to a dentist. If I'm totally honest, a salon that offers teeth whitening is something I would avoid like the plague! I think it says "We will offer anything that makes us money" and that is not the sort of salon I would go to - along with the ones that say "Cheap Shelac (sic)" or "Extensions for a tenner".

Think about what every treatment says about your salon and the kind of clientèle you hope to attract!

Vicki x

I don't understand the people who actually go to these places and risk their teeth in the first place! I had tooth whitening done at my dentists and had an adverse reaction which thankfully as I was in the right place, with a fully trained professional, they were able to treat. Imagine if it was just a beauty therapist who didn't have a clue about teeth/gums?! I've even seen tooth whitening advertised on a tanning shop window! They apparently apply the gel then when you're on the sunbed the uv light activates the gel so you get a tan and beaming white smile all at once! Ludicrous!

After spending last night and this morning reading everything I can on the internet I feel so bad that I was offering teeth whitening and a fool that I believed them. I bought the Megawhite licence as well.

Looking back I should have been suspicious when their adverts say "completely legal teeth whitening"! Why would anyone say that! Can you imagine a dentist saying "completely legal fillings and crowns"!

After spending last night and this morning reading everything I can on the internet I feel so bad that I was offering teeth whitening and a fool that I believed them. I bought the Megawhite licence as well.

Looking back I should have been suspicious when their adverts say "completely legal teeth whitening"! Why would anyone say that! Can you imagine a dentist saying "completely legal fillings and crowns"!

Don't feel bad - you have been conned and there are a lot of people who will STILL say it's ok, so who to believe?
As you point out, they have to say 'completely legal' - read instead 'completely ripping people off'.

Sorry you've been caught like this!

Vic x

I was approached in Tesco yesterday by their staff asking me 'can I interest you in teeth whitening today?' 😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵😵

I share a room with a lady who does teeth whitening.
She was only meant to be in a couple of days a month on the days I wasn't in, now she is so busy she is in about 3 times a week and she is getting busier ( it's tough sharing a room ) she seems professional in how she explains things to her clients ( but no uniform - just an observation lol ) people travel far and wide to have their teeth whitened by her so there's clearly a demand for it.
I haven't had it done and to be honest if I were to I would probably speak to a dentist ( that's just my opinion ) x

Thank you to everyone that has messaged me. It looks like it will be a hard fight to get a refund back from Megawhite and that they have ripped off lots of people but they cannot get away with it!

Get onto your Tesco branch and update them, tell them about the article in the Mirror on Thursday 6th March, might get them to buck their ideas up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back