Beauty day courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiya hope you don't mind me butting in But advice from someone who has been down this route may be good! I did day courses with 'The British Beauty Academy' and my advice is stay well clear of them! I was told it would be small intimate groups. I turned up to the eyelash day for example and there at least 20 girls to this one trainer and all we did to pass was show me we could stick on a couple of lashes and take them off and them boom she wrote out a certificate. The only course worth doing with them is the spray tan! I ended up redoing all my training all it was poor! I retrained with gateway Workshops which I found extremely helpful. I did the level 2 diploma which was the normal beauty treatments like waxing, tinting, mani pedi ect which is online tutoring and then you go for a few practicals and assessments and there were only two of us per trainer! And you can do extra courses like lashes, brow extensions!

Hope this helps :) just make sure you do your research and don't be fooled like I was. Good Luck! Xx
20 girls to one trainer! That is ridiculous! Ideally college would be an ideal route as you get so much experience with practising treatments. Just a pain in the arse that I don't have the time or money at the mo!! X

Thank you all so much for your help and opinions!

I think by doing my research a lot of people have said that waxing, facials and tanning are great as day courses (if you are willing to put in 100%) however, a lot of people have said that treatments to do with the eyes are best to be learnt over a longer period of time.
I'm going to start with waxing and see how it goes. Thanks all x

From someone who has worked in this trade for over 30 years, worked my way from the absolute bottom to get to were I am now (an owner or a beautiful salon and teacher of beauty at a popular college in Kent) I think this un-useful and to be quite frank rude reply is nothing short of patronising and an attempt to intimidate an enthusiastic young woman entering in the great field that is hair and beauty - which may I add is what we are missing these days.. You are correct in saying that girls are getting involved in this line of work because it is seen as 'easy' trust me I work with them on a daily basis. However, to quote this reply, most people are not fortunate enough to go about entering the field in what you have pigeon holed as the correct way. Before replying to others and actually disheartening others (which I'm sure u didn't do intentionally) try to consider that people's lives/situations/income etc is different and instead of forcing personal views onto others, perhaps you may like to consider encouraging future workers to participate in the many great ways of joining us in the work field - which may I add is a great feature of hair and beauty that doesn't exist in other careers. Day courses are one of the many great ways of increasing your knowledge and upping your trade, all the best for whatever route you choose and remember to enjoy it! X

What Red Star said was correct, especially if you live in the U.k you may feel it is being 'pigeon holed' as the correct way but increasingly the government is regulating beauty and just because you do not like or think that it is the correct way to go does not make it any less valid. For example many councils are seeking treatment licences for home treatments,mobile treatments and not just salon traders, not having an nvq or a vocational award can diss-allow them from practicing. Many of my friends were unable to go self-employed due to rules regarding them studying vrq short courses which were no explained prior. So yeah they got a certificate, which was nationally recognised but could not practice as had insufficient college/work-related practice.
Insurance companies are taking payment for insuring against treatments then refusing to pay up when things go wrong even though they have certificates not just the right ones. So you see their is definately a RIGHT way to do things especially if you are in it for the long term with Babtac and other beauty organisations wanting further regulation, I think definately within the OPs' working lifetime / next 5 years this will happen.Their are only a few options left with that;
1) it would be government regulated. (Highly likely with beauticians and hairdressers being squeezed,taxed however that is purely speculative) this would prohibit beauty therapists from operating unless they have met certain criteria. Would a 1 day course fit that??
2)Self- registeration of beauty therapists where we must admit our own training and I do not know about you but I would not pay top money for someone who did a 1 day beauty course.
3) Co-regulation either with trade or insurance. Will insurers be confident in your skills after 1 day especially in high risk treatments,

I agree that beauty can be learned in many ways but think that all involve time and increasingly govt. intervention through apprentices, colleges...

I never understand why people on this site are so busy 'sugar coating' the industry for prospective newbies and instead of telling us the cold harsh truth we invest TONS to find out that the qualifications we have received are useless. We may get insurance but for how long and whats the progression going to be like. Can we work abroad on cruise ships e.t.c ???
I furthermore never understand why you would actively encourage the OP to follow such an ill fated path. It is important to train in a certain way to get foundations you would never become an accountant without investing in the best training so why do it for beauty. ??? If you cannot afford it/ have the time then save and wait. Beauty is an industry where upon you can start at any time just make sure its the right choice Because more often than not those who train end up leaving prematurely due to a number of reasons such as repetative strain injury, lack or progression, pay and 99.9% that is down to training and education.

I think you also need to look at how you want to use your qualifications - will you be self employed or work in paid employment in a salon?

If self employed, as suggested earlier in this thread, you need to check that you can actually get insurance cover for short courses. Don't just take the word of the company selling the course for this either! We recently had a geek who had spent a lot of money on a private course and almost a year study and then despite being told she would get insurance upon completion of the course - she couldn't! Call up the actual insurance companies to check about specific courses before parting with your cash.

If you want to be employed in a salon, then you might find day courses a difficult way to go. Not all, but by far the majority of salon owners will not employ a therapist without an NVQ, and again most will require NVQ3.

Latest posts

Back