Beauty/nail professionals, how did you start your career?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinkOfPink

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I'm interested to see how you all began your careers from qualifying? (Building clients etc)

Was there anything you'd have done differently?

X

When I qualified I got a job straight away at Benefit Cosmetics counter working on the brow bar doing brow waxing and tinting, lip and chin waxing. I was there for almost 2 years but I had enough of being treated badly so got a job in a furniture shop (desperate times calls for desperate measures) and decided to do beauty after work/days off. Alot of my clients wanted to follow me so I set up a facebook page so they could contact me when I had left Benefit.
I advertised on facebook and my clients told their friends and family and my little business started to grow. I was able to go back to my old place of work (on fragrance counter this time) but 3 days and do beauty the rest of the time!
I have recently done a lash extension course which I love and can't wait to do more courses!

When I qualified I got a job straight away at Benefit Cosmetics counter working on the brow bar doing brow waxing and tinting, lip and chin waxing. I was there for almost 2 years but I had enough of being treated badly so got a job in a furniture shop (desperate times calls for desperate measures) and decided to do beauty after work/days off. Alot of my clients wanted to follow me so I set up a facebook page so they could contact me when I had left Benefit.
I advertised on facebook and my clients told their friends and family and my little business started to grow. I was able to go back to my old place of work (on fragrance counter this time) but 3 days and do beauty the rest of the time!
I have recently done a lash extension course which I love and can't wait to do more courses!

Thanks for the response Hun. That's so lovely that your clients originally followed you from benefit. Shows how good you are at what you do!

I qualify in Level 3 Beauty early next year and after taking a couple of short courses in extra things like Eyelash extensions, LVL, etc I'm hoping to set up a small business but understand how difficult it will be to gain clients. Fingers crossed some social media advertising kicks it off! :)

X

Very curious about this thread and what everyone's business story is. I got my nail tech certification early this year and to be honest I am way to scared to drop my day job, although desperate to do it at the same time. I've only been practicing on friends and myself occasionally. At this point I'm kinda loosing my nerve to make the jump as I have well paying job and a lot of financial stability. But I am starting to feel miserable to the bone.
It would be great to hear how you started your careers in beauty.

Once I graduated from beauty therapy, I worked for a few different salons/spas for about 1.5 years. Got treated like crap. Got thrown in the deep end. But still persisted with the encouragement from my mum. Then it got to the point that I had enough. So I decided to open my own salon. Haven't looked back. I first opened 3 days after turning 20. Still here after 10 years! Love all my loyal clients. It does also help that my sister who's a hairdresser has her salon across the road from me, helped initially with building a clientele. I'd also like to add, even though the previous work salons were a challenge, I've learnt a significant amount from those experiences.

Once I graduated from beauty therapy, I worked for a few different salons/spas for about 1.5 years. Got treated like crap. Got thrown in the deep end. But still persisted with the encouragement from my mum. Then it got to the point that I had enough. So I decided to open my own salon. Haven't looked back. I first opened 3 days after turning 20. Still here after 10 years! Love all my loyal clients. It does also help that my sister who's a hairdresser has her salon across the road from me, helped initially with building a clientele. I'd also like to add, even though the previous work salons were a challenge, I've learnt a significant amount from those experiences.

Well done it's always encouraging hearing success stories !

It's lovely to hear everyone's success stories! I qualified nearly 4 years ago (by the skin of my teeth after missing so much from a car accident that left me in a coma with a brain injury - I'm all good now guys) :) but when I finished with college and hospitals, my only option was to go self employed. Rented a room in a small hairdressers, moved to a different town in another hairdressers but found I wasn't confident enough to go out and get the clients (it wouldn't bother me now, but that's confidence increasing with age I guess) then worked in a spa which was hectic all the time, literally a conveyer belt so they could make as much money as possible! Left there and worked in a small salon, then moved abroad & worked there for 7 months. I'm now back in the uk working in a hotel spa, eventually want to open up on my own again but there are so many salons around my area I don't want to start up again to fail again like I did the first time [emoji53] also need to save up first!! Glad to hear success stories though :) xx

Lovely read for inspiration x

Latest posts

Back