Beauty Room in a gym

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesliann80

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I really enjoy reading all the post and find salon geek a fantastic source of infomation!

I would just like to ask you all A little advise.

Me and my friend both work for salons at the moment but have both always dreamed of working for ourselves together, we get on really well think alike always had a big intrest in beauty. We both now have 4 years experince in beauty and we are both still training. I am doing a Spa management Degree and my friend is doing Sports massage. We have also done other traing such as nails and semi lashes and paid out of our own pockets. We have been given we think a fantastic oppurtunity to rent a room in gym, nice big room that has a bed and a nail dest large storage area and pleanty of free space, the rent is £80 per week. I t was run as a beauty room for five years until the lady decided to leave in December. I suppose my post is just to ask opions on whether any of you have experince in renting in gyms and if it is worth giving it ago? Everthing just seems perfect for us like we can both be there 20 hours per week and we have worked out the days so it is fair on us both, split the rent, we have most equipment as we both have collected stuff to use at home, we feel are only expense would be to make leaflets, insurance add a few products (is there anything im missing?). Also what kind of treatments would you offer to people that will bring them in in that envrioment, the last lady did a lot of massage and pedicure and waxing but didnt do as much up to date stuff such as gel nails acrylics tans and semi lashes where as we do Please guys honest opions, we are both nervous as hell that we will be pants and no one will like us I suppose it because you are totally responsable for your self in a way. What do you think? xx

Hiya love, I don't have any experience in gyms. But was just wondering if you know why the other lady left? Would you both be able to bring your own clients?

I suppose my only worry would be that if I didn't have a large following of clients, you might be narrowing your potential clients to just people with that particular gym membership. Therefore might need more advertising.

If you take the room, would you be in a contract? Only asking as if it didn't workout within a month or two then you could always give up the room instead of paying rent on a room without business.

I have a room within a gym and love it i get lots of clients from outside the gym as well as members

The only thing i would question is how would you both split the cost of products? What if one is really busy on her days and other is quiet how would you split costs 50-50 may not alwyas work

Gyms are hood because people that go to them generally want to look good!

I have gound inch loss wraps took off really well in this environment

Thank you ladies for speedy replies. The other lady left we were told because she no longer wanted to do beauty, she had been there 5 years, picked the room straight from college so little experince and built clients from the gym. We do have a few clients between us and of course will be asking them to come to us at the gym and we are also hoping we get clients that visit the gym on a regular basis. People dont have to be member to come into the gym either oh yes and its all female. The money side of things with have arranged to have a seprate pot to put in a portion of any earning into there to buy products as and when needed. We do understand that we have to work hard to let people know we are there, I just think it sounded like a good oppurtunity to start of working for yourself no massive over heads no loans. The lady who owns the gym has agreed that if we feel its not working out we only have to give 2 weeks notice, thats nothing surely? What you think? xxx

All female gym is deffo a plus! Woman wont need to be intimidated about walking into the gym with no makeup on etc to get beauty treatments. Although do you have any male clients? Some might love the idea haha and others might not be so comfortable.
That's nice the lady has said that you can give your two weeks notice if it doesn't work out. Hopefully that will be in writing also?
It does sound like its a good opportunity. Is the gym in a popular easily accessed area by the way?

Yes hun its well established been going 8 years and has excellent review online, has other bit and bobs going on there like with classes and stuff. The ladie who owns the gym has said she is happy for us to take any male clients but if we could keep them for when the gym is closed, for instance the gym closes at 2pm on a sat so we could invite any male clients to come around that time, i kind of like idea of it being just for ladies tho. I imagine we will get a lot of people using us for the convince for instance like waxing if they are there alreay and have comfy clothing on it would make sense to have a leg wax ? And maybe ppl bobbing in for eye brows because it quick and easy and on the way out. I imagine a lot of massage too? xx

And yes hun everything in writing both parties insist on that its the only fair way to do it i think then everyone knows where they stand xx
:Grope:

Ohhh yeah i would imagine alot of massage too! And 2 give you a good amount of time to fit in male clients. So sounds good :) I would be very excited if it was me :)

Jem Thank you so much for the encouragement, Its so strange that I will be working for myself I do feel I am taking a risk because of all the responability I suppose when your working for an employer they are kind of responsable for you. We are going to give it a good go, we just need to impress any ladies that walk through that door to keep them coming back. Its just extremely nerve racking ha x

Aww not a problem. You and your friend will be in it together so you won't be totally alone :) but you gotta take risks in life right! So what better risk then doing something you love with a great friend :)

Big room! Storage space! Bed! £80 pound a week! 2 weeks notice required!......I would snap that up in a heart beat! Go for it and every free second you get be out promoting your services, telling people you're there and delivering flyers. Even if it doesn't work out (which I'm sure it will) just dust yourself down, re-evaluate and give it another go.

Sounds great!! I own a ladies gym and I'm dying to put a beauty room in, very jealous! X

Thank you so much, I know male-Waxing i think she thought we deserved the chance, she did say to us that the last few months the previous lady was there that she lost interest and was going home before closing times and missing out on loads of business as gym clients would be asking where the beauty lady is? And yeah all we can do is give it a good go, we are not proud if it doesnt work out we can always try something else, and i suppose being your own boss would look good on your CV for any jobs we went for in the future xxx

CrunchBrunch from what I know lots of Gyms do it now, make room and its extra for you plus give your clients and potential clients even more insentive to visit you xxx

Latest posts

Back