Beauty | The Death of Fragrance? EU Considers Banning Chanel No. 5

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
What on earth will Brad Pitt do with his time if his latest endorsement gets banned? Who would have thunk that, probably, the most iconic fragrance of all - Chanel No. 5 - could be the next victim of the EU's harsh regulations?

Following research conducted by Dr. Ian White, Chairman of the EU Scientific Committee on Consumer Protection (SCCP) and consultant dermatologist at Guy's and St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust, Chanel could see one of its key ingredients added to the banned list.

Tree moss, which is responsible for the lovely woodiness in Chanel No. 5 and other fragrances such as Dior's Miss. Dior, is at the root of the problem. Speaking to The Independent Dr White explains, "Tree moss contains chemicals which are extreme allergens. The manufacturers know this perfectly well. They have funded research to reduce them - they can extract these ingredients so the other constituents of the moss can still be used.

This is not to protect people with allergies but to prevent a whole new generation of people developing allergies. Around 1.5% of the population have become allergic to a synthetic chemical, hydroxyisohexyl, which has been widely used in skincare products over the past decade. The only thing to do is ban it."

Chanel, and the fragrance industry as a whole, are worried to say the least. Chanel have claimed that this is "the end of beautiful perfumes" but Dr White defends his research saying, "this is not a trivial problem."

Whatever the final decision (apparently the fragrance industry are in talks with the EU Commissions Directorate General for Health and Consumers now) the industry won't see any regulation changes until January 2014 at the earliest.

Best stock up now then.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• iStock_000018033228XSmall.jpg
    iStock_000018033228XSmall.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 376
I cannot put into words just how devastated I will be if they stop making No. 5 - my favourite perfume of all time.

I cannot put into words just how devastated I will be if they stop making No. 5 - my favourite perfume of all time.

Ditto that!

I agree :sad: I will be devastated....

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love Chanel no.5 and wear it a lot.
It is my joint favourite perfume along with Cinnabar by Estee Lauder.
I think I may cry!

The perfume doesn't suit me, but it'll be a travesty if they do ban it!

Tree Moss, so THATS why I like these fragrances so much!

Miss Dior Cherie and Miss Dior Au Fraiche are my most worn at the moment, if these get banned my day will be drastically moodier :eek: Pleasegodno !!!

Latest posts

Back