becoming mobile!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helenlovesnails

Reaction score
hi there everyone!
i just wanted to know whether anyone has any tips or advice for me? i am currently in the process of thinking about becoming a mobile nail technician. i currently work in a salon, but nails is my main interest so want to do this along side! any help for me please!

many thanks!

Hi Ya Helen, be patient! unfortunately it can be very hard work to create a clientele and it can be frustrating, i would suggest sitting down and thinking about everything you want to do i.e advertising, the equiment you need to buy, what you will charge (check out prices locally) etc, advertising can cost and so you need to do a lot of walking lol! posting leaflets etc. It can be rewarding and once youve started getting your name out you will soon be too busy! but in my personal experience it seems to take a while, good luck x x

Hi there , mobile is tough but worth it....and I cant commnet on mobile versus salon as I have not done both and can't compare..

One plus with salon I would have thought is hat your shop front alone is an advert, which you dont get with mobile unless you get your vehcile fully sprayed up with adveritising and of course passing trade which you dont get with mobile, and that's just for starters...

Mobile does have its advantages:

No real overheads, such as rent electric water business rates etc

But with mobile you have to consider wear and tear on your car, loss of appointment time, awkward working environments, the time to set up at each appointment...

But with mobile you can plan to work to certain areas per day but this might not happen overnight if you dont have say 5 bookings every day of the week....which I don't - well not yet :o

But with mobile I feel right now i am making more profit than an would in a salon - so this suits me right now...

May I ask why you are thinking of changing to mobile?

hi there, thansk for your reply
you made me think of a few more things!

im thinking of going mobile because my main interest is nails, and at the moment i am working as a beauty therapist so i dont want to be waxing peoples legs for the rest of my life! also i think working for myself i will be able to get a bit more money than i am now! i want to start part time but eventually move on to full time!
so thats pretty much why!

Im a mobile technician, only part time but will move to full time when i have more clients. I also have some space in a saolon to rent, but no clients for the salon yet. All my mobile clients want to stay mobile, they love it.

It can be a pain in the but, packing and unpacking your stuff all day long, but it can also be good, some of my clients are like extended family now, you know the whole family and all the pets!!

I have a little foldable table and a set of three draws i keep all my stuff in.

The good part of being mobile is get to be out and about, not stuck in the one place, but when you are travelling around all day, you just feel like being in the one spot!!!!

My suggestion is to have a go at it, that is the only true way to find out if its for you!!!

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back